Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hop help  (Read 11824 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: Dry hop help
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 11:40:25 am »
The guy in our club making the best IPA's says he dry hops with four ounces per gallon.

I dry hopped with 5oz/gallon once and I got so much vegetative matter in my bottles that it took a month of lagering to get them to drop out. By that point the hop oils were already starting to fade. I really think that the point of diminishing returns starts at about half an ounce per gallon and the curve starts to flatten out around 1 or 2 oz per gallon unless you have some sort of advanced rig like a torpedo.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Dry hop help
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2013, 12:05:04 pm »
The guy in our club making the best IPA's says he dry hops with four ounces per gallon.

That seems like a ridiculous amount of dry hopping.  I've been very pleased with around 2 oz in 5 gallons.  I couldn't imagine the mass of hop matter that would suck up much of my beer when 20 oz of dry hops were added to 5 gallons of beer.  My experience says that this is not workable or desirable.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 12:27:42 pm »
Holy crap !   I'm using 2oz/gallon now for AIPA. You know what though ? I usually think I needed more.  So you've tried the 4oz/gal IPA?  Sounds like it's damn good.  But as previously posted, I also have a hop problem.
He consistently makes the best IPA in our club.  I still have been too "frugal" to put that much in, but 3 ounces per 5 gallons doesn't seem to cut it for me.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 08:12:33 am »
That seems like an enormous amount of dry hops. I wonder if some brewing salt adjustments could make those dry hops more pronounced without using such a massive amount.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 09:25:13 am »
Holy crap !   I'm using 2oz/gallon now for AIPA. You know what though ? I usually think I needed more.  So you've tried the 4oz/gal IPA?  Sounds like it's damn good.  But as previously posted, I also have a hop problem.
He consistently makes the best IPA in our club.  I still have been too "frugal" to put that much in, but 3 ounces per 5 gallons doesn't seem to cut it for me.

I wonder what the rest of his process is? How long, what temp, bagged or loose, etc? I could see if you're dry-hopping cold, or for a short period of time, then there may be added benefit of a larger quantity of hops.

I'm actually testing out a large quantity/short dry-hop duration with an ESB I'm bottling tonight. 3.2 gallons in the fermenter got 5 ounces of dry hops. 2 ounces were leaf hops, so they went in for 2 days to give them extra time to hydrate. The other 3 ounces of pellets will be in for a total of 24 hours. (a half ounce of leaf hops ended up on the floor, but that's because I had to ferment in a carboy instead of a bucket  :-\ ) Normally I'd be using about 2 ounces of dry hops for this brew, so I'm curious how what the end result of this will be.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer