Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gelatin fining and FC Question  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Gelatin fining and FC Question
« on: June 03, 2013, 03:30:42 pm »
Recently did  a 10 gallon Gratzer (Oak-smoked wheat beer) and fined with gelatin. i was gonna force carb by setting the pressure on a 28* corney and rolling it around on the floor. Will this cloud the beer up again? Or will the finings drop back out after a few days?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Gelatin fining and FC Question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:16:53 pm »
I think it would drop back out. Just force carbonate it upright.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:12:01 pm »
I don't know where I heard/read it but I always thought gelatin worked pretty quickly and was ineffective afterwards where isinglass was effective forever.

I'm guessing you fined in the keg.  You could always transfer to another keg to carb it or since you probably have 2 kegs try one and see what happens.

I made a grazter earlier this year and loved it, need to make another one.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 05:24:33 am »
Recently did  a 10 gallon Gratzer (Oak-smoked wheat beer) and fined with gelatin. i was gonna force carb by setting the pressure on a 28* corney and rolling it around on the floor. Will this cloud the beer up again? Or will the finings drop back out after a few days?

Yes it will redistribute all of the "stuff" you dropped out of solution with the gelatin.

I doubt it will re-clear because the gelatin has already been introduced and congealed. If you take a jello mold and shake the s*** out of it, it wont set back up in the mold; it will be water on top, jello on bottom. So you'll have some "chunks" of stuff fall out, but it will redistribute some of the haze.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 02:01:13 pm »
So the gelatin was put into the keg? If it was used in the fermenter instead then it would be left on the bottom, right?

Sent from the future using Tapatalk

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 02:59:09 pm »

Yes it will redistribute all of the "stuff" you dropped out of solution with the gelatin.

I doubt it will re-clear because the gelatin has already been introduced and congealed. If you take a jello mold and shake the s*** out of it, it wont set back up in the mold; it will be water on top, jello on bottom. So you'll have some "chunks" of stuff fall out, but it will redistribute some of the haze.

If this is the case, can he clear with gelatin, pull the gunk out and then force carb by shaking?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:14:37 pm »

If this is the case, can he clear with gelatin, pull the gunk out and then force carb by shaking?

he could jumper to a clean keg, and pull bright beer off the sediment/fining/gunk, then force carb in the clean keg.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 02:20:57 pm »
Thanks for your comments. I decided to just let time do the shaking and left it alone.
I FC'd at 30* 15psi for a day on its way to 3.6 volumes, and pulled a couple pints. I am happy to report the second pint is only slightly cloudy soon to be clear. It's got a few more days to get to full saturation, but after cutting the grass, a cold, refreshing (yet still a little flat) 1.031 Smoked wheat this beer is gonna go fast *burp**
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving