Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Travel to Indianapolis  (Read 2465 times)

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
Travel to Indianapolis
« on: December 19, 2013, 06:51:12 am »
I am going to Indianapolis on business for only 3 days (Thursday-Saturday) in Feb.  Thursday is open and I will have evenings free the other days.  Transportation will be limited to public trans and cabs.

So folks, what places must I visit and beers should I try?
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Travel to Indianapolis
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:48:32 am »
Merton or others might have more up to date info, but here goes, as some family is there. You didn't say where you are staying, it is spread out. Here goes.

The craft beer scene has exploded there. Sun King is not far from downtown. http://www.sunkingbrewing.com/home.html

A little ways east is Flat 12, which we like.
http://flat12.me

Not far from those is the Massachusetts Ave which is an entertainment district with plenty of good bars and restaurants. McNivens, Chatham Tap are good bars. Mesh for higher end food, some good beer.

Broadripple is farther out and has been a cool area since I was a kid. Broadripple brewpub and Thr3e Wise men
are there along with bars and eateries from expensive to dives.
http://www.broadripplebrewpub.com
http://www.thr3ewisemen.com

Fountains Square Brewing in Fountain Sq. was good when we went.http://fountainsquarebrewery.com

Farther out on the east side are 2 newer ones I have not been to. Triton and Black Acre. They get some good reviews.

Downtown has the national chain brewpubs, bars and plenty of fine places to eat.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:01:24 am »
Thanks Jeff.

I'll be staying at the Marriott Downtown. I'll plug these into google maps.  I hope to get to a few when I'm there.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 08:30:17 am »
+1 to Jeff's recommendations.  My favorites:  Broad Ripple area
                                                   Broad Ripple Brewpub - Have a GABF Gold Medal ESB. Great place.
                                                   Brugge Brasserie - A Belgian brewpub. Great tripel. A chef making   
                                                                            great food.
                                                   Twenty Tap - a small little pub, great guest taps.

Downtown - Massachussetts Ave
                                                   MacNiven's - Scottish pub. Good beer, atmosphere.
                                                   Chatham Tap - British pub, good beer, atmosphere.

South Side
                                                   Shallo's - great pub. Over the course of the year they have over 400
                                                                beers on tap or in bottle. Great place.

That's a pretty good start !

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:41:47 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 08:36:35 am »
Public transit in Indy IS a cab, my friend...

If you're taking a beer tour, head to the Broad Ripple area:

Twenty Tap: Great food and the best tap selection/curation in Indy. It has been my local watering hole since it opened (or was - I recently relocated to St. Louis). Most of the bartenders are awesome people that love beer (and love to talk about it). The owner (former brewer at Broad Ripple Brew Pub) is now brewing his "Underground" series in the basement.

Brugge: Awesome Flemish and French-inspired pub food. Cod crepe and Frites will not disappoint. Charcuterie and cheese plate is the largest I've ever seen and usually includes AMAZING products from Smoking Goose, the local sausage maker. Its also a brewpub that brews a variety of nice Belgian beers. I would skip their pales/IPA and go for something Belgian-inspired.

Broad Ripple Brew Pub: Indiana's first brewpub. Puts out the English vibe in its beer, cuisine, and decor. Their Monon Porter is the best Brown Porter I've ever had, and its usually served (properly) from a cask.

Three Wisemen: Another brewpub in the area, owned by Indiana franchise Scotty's Brewhouse. Most of their food/beer is just 'okay', but its worth stopping in for their Pale Ale (awesome west-coast style), especially if its on cask. Their Hubbard & Cravens (Coffee) Porter is also very nice. Usually they have a cask of something creative and interesting, but you have to ask for it.

Triton Brewing Co. has a (very) small tap room on the strip. Its called Triton Tap. I love their stout and their Belgian Pale (and most of their seasonals).

Chumley's: On the Broad Ripple strip. Its a great list of taps (esp if you're looking for 3 Floyds), and Thursday is Schooner night. Watch college basketball and drink Dreadnaught/APW. Root for Purdue. You're taking a cab anyway, right?

If you're staying downtown:

If your company card has some wiggle room, St. Elmo's is one of the best steakhouses in America. Shrimp Cocktail, Dry-aged beef, and Harrison (Indiana) Bourbon.

If you're footing the bill, Napolese (amazing Neapolitan pizzeria) and Rock Bottom are fine choices. Scotty's Brewhouse is a cool hangout with lots of local taps. The Ram also has a hell of a brewer.

Sun King is close and open for tasting/growler fills. Buy some fresh Wee Mac / Osiris for the hotel room.

Your best bet for truly great restaurants is to find one of the districts around downtown:

Mass Ave is walking distance from the core of downtown. Bakersfield is an awesome new taqueria with great taps and food. Chatham Tap has great pub food, unique regional and English drafts (Hobgoblin is always on, for example). Black Market is a bit pricier, but their Pickle Plate and Black Market Burger are out of this world. Outliers Brewing Co (from owner/brewer of Brugge) also just opened.

The Fountain Square area is fairly close and chock full of non-chain variety (if you dont mind fending off hipsters). New Day Meadery is unique and worth the trip (esp if Breakfast Magpie, their blackberry coffee mead, is on tap). La Margarita always has great stuff on tap. Fountain Square Brewery is also in this area. If you like Thai - Siam Square.

If you're nowhere near downtown:

Northwest: Rock Bottom College Park has a badass brewer that makes excellent beer. Squealers makes great BBQ.

If you're staying by the airport or working on the south west (industrial) side of town, check out The Tamale Place.

Local/regional stuff to try: Sun King, 3 Floyds, Upland, People's, New Day (Mead), Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA (Ohio), Schlafly AIPA (St. Louis), Urban Chestnut Zwickel (St. Louis)

Have a great trip!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:05 am »
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 08:54:32 am »
How did I forget Brugge Brasserie?

Bier Brewing is very good from my limited samples, but that would be a long cab ride, and not much else out there.

I think you will find plenty to do there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 09:03:21 am »
Brugge Brasserie is not to be missed.  If you only go to one place, go there.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 09:05:36 am »
Thanks all.  Looks like I'll find plenty to do with my free time.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 01:55:44 pm »
Yes, as Kyle mentions, a cab is public transport in Indy.  The bus system is not the best. But there might be a bus that can get you to and from downtown to Broad Ripple.

The good thing is that downtown is somewhat compact and walkable, as long as its not freezing cold. Sun King is a little more than a mile walk from the Marriott and their tap room hours are a little limited. Ram and Rock Bottom are near the hotel.

If you want to enjoy Indiana beers, the Thomlinson Tap room is another good place to visit. It is an easy walk from the hotel. Mass Ave also is a great place to enjoy a beer.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks