Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Rye/Roggenbier?  (Read 8023 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
German Rye/Roggenbier?
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:10:29 pm »
So i looked at the style guidelines and came up with this. ? is i think i might use 1007 instead of 3068 just because i have it on hand. So if i do are the recommendations on possible changes i should make to the grain bill or hops and what style would it fall under it i used 1007?
Recipe: German Rye   TYPE: All Grain
Style: Roggenbier (German Rye Beer)
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 16.3 SRM      SRM RANGE: 14.0-19.0 SRM
IBU: 13.1 IBUs Tinseth   IBU RANGE: 10.0-20.0 IBUs
OG: 1.050 SG      OG RANGE: 1.046-1.056 SG
FG: 1.012 SG      FG RANGE: 1.010-1.014 SG
BU:GU: 0.262      Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz   Est ABV: 5.0 %      
EE%: 75.00 %   Batch: 5.50 gal      Boil: 8.60 gal   BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 2.0 oz   Total Hops: 1.41 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.50 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5 lbs                 Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM)           Grain         1        44.9 %       
2 lbs 4.0 oz          Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         2        20.2 %       
1 lbs 14.0 oz         Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)            Grain         3        16.9 %       
1 lbs                 Cara Rye (65.0 SRM)                      Grain         4        9.0 %         
5.7 oz                Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)                 Grain         5        3.2 %         
5.7 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)    Grain         6        3.2 %         
4.6 oz                Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM Grain         7        2.6 %         

Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 5.06 gal of water at 163.6 F        153.0 F       75 min       
Mash Step         Decoct 1.54 gal of mash and boil it     168.0 F       10 min       

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 65.0 F/68.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Fly sparge with 5.07 gal water at 168.0 F

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.043 SG   Est OG: 1.050 SG
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
1.01 oz               Hallertauer [4.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min     Hop           8        11.6 IBUs     
0.40 oz               Tettnang [3.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           9        1.4 IBUs     

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------
Primary Start: 06/02/2013 - 4.00 Days at 67.0 F
Secondary Start: 06/06/2013 - 10.00 Days at 67.0 F
Style Carb Range: 2.50-2.90 Vols
Bottling Date: 06/16/2013 with 2.8 Volumes CO2:
---NOTES------------------------------------

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Re: German Rye/Roggenbier?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 06:45:28 pm »
So it doesnt seem that anyone does Roggenbier much?  3 week old and surprisingly quite tasty. Nice earthy flavor from the rye i think.  I used 3068 and fermed at 63. If anyone decided to attempt this style or recipe i would love some feedback.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 07:09:19 pm »
I don't think I know what it is. Educate us?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 07:28:27 pm »
It's a hefeweizen that uses rye malt in place of wheat.  Earthy indeed and very heady and creamy.  I haven't brewed a German style rye ale yet but I have used American yeast on several occasions and it is in the top 3 recipes I have ever made.  I love rye in beer.  It's great.  And not very spicy.  Just very earthy and bready.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 07:30:46 pm »
Basically a Dunkel with Rye instead of Wheat. http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Roggenbier.html

Roggenbier is a medieval ale usually made from a grain bill of about half barley malt and equal portions of wheat and rye malts. Today, a Roggenbier may be either an ale or a lager. Modern renditions of the brew have about 5 to 5.5% alcohol by volume. Rye ales are mildly hopped, which allows the grain flavors to be dominant. Filtration appears to be optional in a rye ale and many, such as the Paulaner (depicted right) are "naturtrüb," meaning naturally turbid. A yeast-turbid Roggenbier is more authentic, considering that the style had been around long before beer filtration was invented in 1878.

Being ancient brews, Roggenbiers can have a faint whiff of earthiness in the nose that is reminiscent of rye bread. The up-front sensation is one of mild fruitiness. There is a slight to extreme yeastiness and breadiness in the middle, and an almost smoky, spicy, faintly sour and very dry finish—clearly the effects of the rye malt. Effervescence ranges from medium to spritzy like a Hefeweizen. The body is substantial, almost reminiscent of a Bockbier. The brew has a pleasant, rich, off-white head when poured.

For the most part, Roggenbiers are tart, refeshing summer quaffing beers, a nice alternative to a Hefeweizen. They go extremely well with a succulent slice of barbequed roast pork. 

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 07:34:07 pm »
It's a hefeweizen that uses rye malt in place of wheat.  Earthy indeed and very heady and creamy.  I haven't brewed a German style rye ale yet but I have used American yeast on several occasions and it is in the top 3 recipes I have ever made.  I love rye in beer.  It's great.  And not very spicy.  Just very earthy and bready.

Yes i defiantly get the earthy and bready. I am really enjoying it thus far. I would love to see other recipes so i can compare. I just threw it together after reading BJCP guidelines. 

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 09:10:58 pm »
Now, take that description quattlebaum just gave and use your favorite IPA hops and you have a killer Rye IPA.  Just sayin!
AHA Member 900001775

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 05:35:49 am »
Yawn... if you want to taste the rye, try going lightly on the hops sometime.   :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 06:30:44 am »
Basically a Dunkel with Rye instead of Wheat. http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Roggenbier.html

Dunkel means dark. I think you are thinking Dunkelweizen. Dunkel in most places means a dark lager. I will quote Herr Dornbusch here.
http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Dunkel.html

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Schemy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 08:47:56 am »
I am brewing a smoked version of Roggenbier next week some time. I will use the Wyerman Oak Smoked Wheat, around 15% of the grist.   Based on various research and talking to others that have used that malt, I feel it shouldn't overpower the beer and provide an interesting addition to the beer. 
Schemy

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 09:21:42 am »
Sounds like a very tasty idea, schemy!
Dave

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 09:36:10 am »
Basically a Dunkel with Rye instead of Wheat.

Boy, not that I'm aware of.  A dunkel is a lager and roggenbier uses a weizen yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 09:37:26 am »
Now, take that description quattlebaum just gave and use your favorite IPA hops and you have a killer Rye IPA.  Just sayin!

Nope.  A Rye IPA wouldn't use weizen yeast.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 09:38:04 am »
Yawn... if you want to taste the rye, try going lightly on the hops sometime.   :)

Your taste buds are broken!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 10:04:09 am »
Never had a good commercial example of a Roggenbier (aside from Rogue's, but I don't think that really fits the BJCP mold).

Are there any available domestically?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/