Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Rye/Roggenbier?  (Read 7988 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: German Rye/Roggenbier?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 10:16:47 am »
Never had a good commercial example of a Roggenbier (aside from Rogue's, but I don't think that really fits the BJCP mold).

Are there any available domestically?
i will say they are hard to find in Germany.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 12:45:05 pm »
Certainly not a widely available style.  I've had a commercial example before, but it was many years ago and I can't name one off the top of my head.  Hmmm.... (as he peruses the BJCP guidelines).... ah, yes... apparently there's only two good examples, both made in Germany... Paulaner Roggen (formerly Thurn und Taxis, no longer imported into the US), and Bürgerbräu Wolznacher Roggenbier.  Good luck finding those in the USA.

Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 08:20:43 pm »
Basically a Dunkel with Rye instead of Wheat. http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Roggenbier.html

Dunkel means dark. I think you are thinking Dunkelweizen. Dunkel in most places means a dark lager. I will quote Herr Dornbusch here.
http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Dunkel.html
i
My bad i meant a "Dunkelweizen".  I have heard a few brewers say what i have said. It's just a Dunkelweizen replacing the wheat with partial wheat/rye blend or Rye.   

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 08:43:47 pm »
I'm brewing one tomorrow with smoked rye, regular rye and Munich malt.  I'll use the yeast cake from my rauchbock(lager), it should be interesting.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 10:11:42 am »
My bad i meant a "Dunkelweizen".  I have heard a few brewers say what i have said. It's just a Dunkelweizen replacing the wheat with partial wheat/rye blend or Rye.   

Yeah, I could go with that.  But not "dunkel".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell