Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash temp calculation  (Read 8272 times)

Offline kmshultz

• 1st Kit
Re: Mash temp calculation
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 10:07:06 pm »
Let's not forget that multi-step mashes are an option, too. If you think about it, it can afford you a greater control over your wort fermentability in the case that you are uncertain if the entire mash has a uniform temperature during a single-infusion mash. Matt Brynildson at Firestone Walker uses a separate beta and alpha rest for many of his beers, and I sure trust that guy!

I recently did a Belgian Blonde which I mashed in the upper protein range (132F) for 15 minutes, then 147F for 40 minutes (shorter than a single-infusion beta rest would ideally be, as others have mentioned above), and then 40 minutes at 156F to finish the conversion with some less-fermentable sugars. I've just packaged/carbonated the beer and it has a very firm-yet-refreshing medium body, even with having used 8% cane sugar. But everyone's system is unique, of course.

For single infusion mashes, the general rule seems to be that if you're doing a pretty high gravity beer (> 1.075 or so) that you do not want to have an overly sweet/big body (i.e. it's not a barleywine or Imperial stout), mash low -- in the high 140s or so. If you are brewing a low gravity session beer and want to avoid it becoming too thin, mash into the mid 150s.

Of course yeast strain choice plays into it as well. And your own system's fermentability (everyones is different!). And your own drinking preference. I like to mash lower than most people but that is just me. It just takes time to find out what works best for your own enjoyment (or for the judges' enjoyment, if that's also a goal).

Cheers,
Kent
A beer for every occasion, and an occasion for every beer!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 10:44:31 pm »
Great info. Thanks. What I'm learning is that it can be very simple but there are many available nuances that can make it quite a science to explore.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Mash temp calculation
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 12:03:33 am »
Great info. Thanks. What I'm learning is that it can be very simple but there are many available nuances that can make it quite a science to explore.

The AHA motto used to be "It's not rocket science unless you want it to be".  Very true.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 02:01:35 pm »

[/quote]

The AHA motto used to be "It's not rocket science unless you want it to be".  Very true.
[/quote]
Big +1 on that. My understanding is malt enzymes work more in a sliding scale If you overshoot by a few degrees it takes a little time for the amylase to react. More importantly focus on your process; getting your thermal mass dialed in so you can be consistant with your strike. And to Denny's comment, the earth has been making beer alot longer than it's been putting things in space.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 02:11:49 pm »
Certain malts are made for certain mash time temp schedules. Learn what works best for your base malt.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Re: Mash temp calculation
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 07:14:17 pm »

. And to Denny's comment, the earth has been making beer alot longer than it's been putting things in space.
[/quote]

I don't know, it put the moon in space an awfully long time ago. ;)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 11:47:03 pm »
An important point to remember, is that the enzymes don't turn off at an exact temp. They may denature a little faster, but beta amylase still works at higher temps. Same for alpha. They have a fairly wide range of temps they work well in, but the optimum temps are what we shoot for.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.