Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Air leak in siphon  (Read 2404 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Air leak in siphon
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:13:14 am »
While racking the last couple batches, I've had air leaks where the hose and racking cane meet.  I've had some success using keg lube and plastic "squeeze" clamps to stop the air leak, but only after a lot of finagling.  I've brewed for many years without noticing any air leaks and I recently tried a new hose to no avail.  What am I missing?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Air leak in siphon
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:16:45 am »
I always used a stainless gear clamp. Either that or make sure the diameter of your tubing is small enough that it fits especially snig.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Air leak in siphon
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:32:47 am »
I always used a stainless gear clamp. Either that or make sure the diameter of your tubing is small enough that it fits especially snig.

Same here, works great (stainless clamp).
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 08:51:24 am »
I had this issue too. I'm thinking my tubing us off by a 1/32" or 1/16". I wrapped it with a zip tie and it works perfectly fine.
Frank

narvin

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:02:51 am »
You need a smaller hose.

(If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that...)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:05:14 am »
I use tubing that is the next size down from what I need. If you run it under hot water for a while it will soften up enough where you can stuff the tip of the siphon inside.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 04:24:58 pm »
I use tubing that is the next size down from what I need. If you run it under hot water for a while it will soften up enough where you can stuff the tip of the siphon inside.

+1
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 09:09:40 pm »
It's unclear why all of a sudden the siphon is leaking. I suspect it is the reason why my last IPA sucks.   I'll try more dry hops to hide the off flavor.  Anyway will use worm clamp with existing hoses and then buy a size too small hose when I retire the existing hoses.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 08:11:30 am »
It's unclear why all of a sudden the siphon is leaking. I suspect it is the reason why my last IPA sucks.   I'll try more dry hops to hide the off flavor.  Anyway will use worm clamp with existing hoses and then buy a size too small hose when I retire the existing hoses.

You might try just snipping an inch or two off the end of the hose. Maybe it got stretched a bit with repeated use.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 08:24:56 am »

You might try just snipping an inch or two off the end of the hose. Maybe it got stretched a bit with repeated use.
Good idea there.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958