Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What Hops for Imperial Porter?  (Read 9631 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
What Hops for Imperial Porter?
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:37:52 pm »
Looking for suggestions on which hops, and at what schedule, for an imperial porter. It will be in the 1.080 starting gravity range.

The recipe I have suggests Phoenix @ 90 minutes and First Gold @ 30 minutes. Maybe a decent substitute?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What Hops for Imperial Porter?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:49:31 am »
The bittering hops are kind of wide open although I'd maybe go with something smooth like Magnum.  The late addition, I'd use a British hop or at least something with floral/berry/earthy rather than citrus character.  I like Kent Goldings but there are a number of possibilities.  First Gold would fit the bill.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 09:23:41 am »
What are you trying to accomplish in this brew? Are the hops just for bitterness? If not, that kind of hop character are you looking for? Are you using any other flavorings? How roasty will this brew be/what is the grain bill?

Porter is one of those styles where you can go a lot of different directions with the hops. There is a range of bitterness that will work depending on how much crystal and/or roast character the beer has. Either US or UK type hops work pretty well for flavor and aroma (although you need to be careful not to overdo it if you're using West Coast-style hops).

I shoot for 0.6-0.75 BU:GU (although you can go higher or lower than that). My American porters use Nugget for bittering, Cascade for aroma and something else (Willamette currently) for flavor. I usually ferment with Chico. For my UK porters I use Magnum for bittering, Fuggles for flavor and EKG for aroma, and ferment with S-04 or WLP007.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline edvinjonsson

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:51:18 am »
I really like Northern Brewer in my porters. Never made an Imperial though.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:03:34 am »
What are you trying to accomplish in this brew? Are the hops just for bitterness? If not, that kind of hop character are you looking for? Are you using any other flavorings? How roasty will this brew be/what is the grain bill?

Porter is one of those styles where you can go a lot of different directions with the hops. There is a range of bitterness that will work depending on how much crystal and/or roast character the beer has. Either US or UK type hops work pretty well for flavor and aroma (although you need to be careful not to overdo it if you're using West Coast-style hops).

I shoot for 0.6-0.75 BU:GU (although you can go higher or lower than that). My American porters use Nugget for bittering, Cascade for aroma and something else (Willamette currently) for flavor. I usually ferment with Chico. For my UK porters I use Magnum for bittering, Fuggles for flavor and EKG for aroma, and ferment with S-04 or WLP007.
+1.  I hop my porters much the same way.
Jon H.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 10:28:18 am »
I like to allow the grist bill, yeast character and hops to come through balanced in this style. Of course, there will also be some alcohol, but for hops a more nuetral Magnum for bittering then some Brittish hops if your looking for an English influence. I also like to switch it up and add some American hop character in this style. For American hops I would go with Cascade or Centennial, or even a blend of a few "C" hops in the finish.
Ron Price

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:47:27 am »
I really like to use Glacier in dark beers like this. Smooth bitterness, nice aroma similar to an English variety, but with a slight stone fruit (apricot/peach) thing going on.
Kyle M.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 12:12:15 pm »
erockrph - it's a strong coffee and cacao nib porter, heavy on both, around 6 to 8 ounces each.

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 03:31:15 pm »
Poor williamette always gets overlooked
Take it easy...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 03:32:08 pm »
The best porters I've made use a combo of Tettnanger and Cascade.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 05:41:11 pm »
Denny - I was actually thinking about using the hops from your Vanilla Imperial Porter

Magnum Hops (60 min) & Goldings (10 min) to get up to 40 IBU.

If you are suggesting Tettnanger and Cascade, what rate at schedule?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 05:46:12 pm »
Denny - I was actually thinking about using the hops from your Vanilla Imperial Porter

Magnum Hops (60 min) & Goldings (10 min) to get up to 40 IBU.

If you are suggesting Tettnanger and Cascade, what rate at schedule?

The Magnum and Golding combo is a great choice for a porter.  I don't have my notes here, so I can't recall what the Tett/Cascade schedule was.  I'll try to look it up and ps tomorrow.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 06:08:11 pm »
I like fuggles and chinook.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 09:08:02 pm »
erockrph - it's a strong coffee and cacao nib porter, heavy on both, around 6 to 8 ounces each.

My thought on flavored brews is typically have the hops give you the IBU's you're looking for then get out of the way. If you want the coffee and chocolate to take the lead, then I think you can safely stick to something like Magnum or Warrior at 60 minutes for 40-50 IBU's and skip the late additions.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 06:32:51 am »
The best porters I've made use a combo of Tettnanger and Cascade.
Spoken like a true West Coaster.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO