Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Culturing yeast  (Read 2365 times)

Offline jreichmann77

• 1st Kit
Culturing yeast
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:40:06 pm »
I would like to start culturing my own yeast to save a couple of bucks on brew day.  I've successfully washed yeast off my trub in the past, but have been told that's not the most ideal way of doing things.  So I want to do the same basic procedure using a new vial of white labs cal. Ale in a 64.oz. growler.  Would the whole vial be over pitching too much or should I use 1/2?.....or some other measurement? 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Culturing yeast
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:24:10 pm »
A half gallon starter from a full vial will work fine as a starting point, you can then harvest a little and grow it up again, while using the main starter with a batch of beer.  If you decant so you have some thick yeast sludge, you will only need about a tablespoon of the sludge for growing about a pint of new starter...good luck.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Culturing yeast
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:51:14 pm »
I'm a little confused about what your plan is with the growler, unless like ynot said you are making a starter.

If you want to harvest and reuse your yeast my procedure it to pour the yeast cake into sanitized containers after fermentation.  You can reuse the slurry as-is if you use it soon.  Or, you can use some of it to make a starter for a later batch.  If you're going to store it, keep it in the fridge.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton