General Category > Going Pro

Filled Keg storage

<< < (6/6)

HoosierBrew:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on June 10, 2013, 07:23:49 AM ---I've never understood why so few breweries use the oxygen-scavenging caps.

For that matter, why aren't can lid liners made of that stuff?*

*This idea is the property of Two Mile Brewing LLC.

--- End quote ---
I don't know if it ever proved to be legit, but I read several accounts over recent years that the O2 scavenging caps also reduce hop aromas pretty noticeably. 

a10t2:

--- Quote from: anthony on June 10, 2013, 07:55:58 AM ---Because most reasonable bottling/canning lines pre-purge with CO2 and cap/seam on foam anyways.
--- End quote ---

True, but we were still testing at 300-600 ppb off a four-head Meheen Merlin. Switching caps brought that down to <100 ppb.

AmandaK:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on June 09, 2013, 11:00:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: AmandaK on June 09, 2013, 04:16:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: a10t2 on June 09, 2013, 11:02:32 AM ---

--- Quote from: AmandaK on June 07, 2013, 08:26:00 AM ---why bottle conditioning is superior for long term flavor stabilization.
--- End quote ---

Is it the yeast sediment that's the crucial factor, or something to do with the bottle conditioning itself?

--- End quote ---

According to Boulevard, who centrifuges all their beer and adds their proprietary bottling strain (yes, even the wheats), it is for the yeasts' superior oxygen depleting properties. They claim much longer shelf life over counter pressure filled bottles.

--- End quote ---
That is totally believable to me.

--- End quote ---

I believe it, but I don't have the data or sources to back it up. Just by going to the brewery and knowing one of their retired sensory leads is what makes me believe it.

BTW - it has got to be more expensive to centrifuge out the yeast, add bottling yeast and priming sugar/cap than it is to just counter pressure fill.

nateo:

--- Quote from: AmandaK on June 10, 2013, 12:32:23 PM ---BTW - it has got to be more expensive to centrifuge out the yeast, add bottling yeast and priming sugar/cap than it is to just counter pressure fill.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, outfits as big and successful as Boulevard probably don't spend money on stuff like that unless it's worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version