Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hose material  (Read 6277 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Hose material
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:56:30 pm »
I've seen PVC free hose material sold online. What's the point? Has anyone here upgraded original tubing they received in a kit for any reason?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Hose material
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:15:53 pm »
I've seen PVC free hose material sold online. What's the point? Has anyone here upgraded original tubing they received in a kit for any reason?

I've never dealt with a kit, but I swear by silicone tubing.  It is far superior to other materials.  The biggest characteristic for me is ease of handling.  I could never get the other tubing stay where I want it.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:21:10 pm »

I've never dealt with a kit, but I swear by silicone tubing.  It is far superior to other materials.  The biggest characteristic for me is ease of handling.  I could never get the other tubing stay where I want it.

I like the silicon but it is expensive. I got some once but the next time I needed hose I didn't. it was like 2 or 3 times more than the vinyl stuff.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 01:38:46 pm »

I like the silicon but it is expensive. I got some once but the next time I needed hose I didn't. it was like 2 or 3 times more than the vinyl stuff.
+1.  I have one piece of silicone tubing on my mash tun valve.  Pretty pricey.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Hose material
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 01:50:11 pm »
Will PVC cause problems in lab rats or something?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:52:33 pm »
Well, if one is going to be recirculating hot/boiling wort then silicone is a wise investment. It will handle the temps better and won't be leaching anything into the wort.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 12:01:06 am »
It is certainly more expensive but IMO not prohibitively so.  I got mine from: http://www.brewhardware.com/accessories/118-silicone

At $2.39/foot, I ordered (as I recall) 12' (so about $30) which gives me three lengths: 2 with stainless fittings on both ends for attaching to the kettle's cam locks and pump, and another with just one gravity fed applications.  One of the less esxpensive items I use to brew with.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 01:46:47 am »
Will PVC cause problems in lab rats or something?

I hope not.  A great deal of houshold plumbing and potable water systems are constructed with PVC these days.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 08:23:08 am »
One problem I have with silicone tubing is its flexibility.  When hot, it may be too flexible for use as a pump suction line.  Since I RIMS, that is a deal killer for me.  I use the reinforced vinyl tubing since it is more rigid.  I do pre-boil my tubing to 'help' volatilize the plasticizers and methyl ethyl death from the tubing before initial use.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 08:25:59 am »
I am using thermoplastic hoses on the hot side. Got it from Northern Brewer, cheaper than silicone.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 08:28:57 am »
One problem I have with silicone tubing is its flexibility.  When hot, it may be too flexible for use as a pump

This is my biggest complaint - it can kink / contract near the barb when its on the suction side of the pump. PITA, but since I bought $40 worth of tubing, I'll use it until it needs replaced...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:35:48 am »
a peristaltic pump is one use I have been thinking about with the silicon. I saw something about it on homebrewtalk at one point but I couldn't find it the last time I looked.

They guy built one out of a cake pan, some skateboard wheels and other assorted gear. Silicon would be ideal for that because of it's softness and durability when it comes to repeated bending and squeezing.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 06:34:13 pm »
Looking into this further, I came across this today. Anyone interested in this type of tubing over PVC?

http://www.graylineinc.com/search-for-tubing/non-heat-shrinkable-tubing/md80-np-pvc.html

OR maybe I'll just go silicon tubing, which I see on some of the homebrew sites online.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:44:24 pm by flbrewer »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 10:11:36 pm »
One problem I have with silicone tubing is its flexibility.  When hot, it may be too flexible for use as a pump

This is my biggest complaint - it can kink / contract near the barb when its on the suction side of the pump. PITA, but since I bought $40 worth of tubing, I'll use it until it needs replaced...

I have never had this problem.  I use a pump from the boil to the plate chiller too.  It is described as heavy wall tubing on the seller's website.  Maybe that is the difference?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline grod

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 11:04:53 pm »

I have never had this problem.  I use a pump from the boil to the plate chiller too.  It is described as heavy wall tubing on the seller's website.  Maybe that is the difference?

I've purchased 2 types of silicone hose both with 1/2" ID but one is heavy duty with a thicker wall that doesn't pinch when used as a pump pick-up.

love

g
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"