Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buidling a Cooler Mash Tun...PLEASE HELP  (Read 6059 times)

Offline Lil' Chee & Me HBC

• 1st Kit
Buidling a Cooler Mash Tun...PLEASE HELP
« on: June 07, 2013, 01:53:50 pm »
After watching the video for How To Build a Mash Tun on the AHA website, I thought wow that looks easy and I could build it myself for half the price my local homebrew supplier is selling them. So I went out and bought all the supplies. Things went well until I got to the assembly of the in-line valve. I used a  food grade silicone sealant to adhere the mini keg bung into the slot where the drainage spout previously was. But on both occasions, one I placed even a small amount of pressure on the keg bung the sealant would give and the seal would break. This allowed the keg bung to just fall out of the hole. The only thing that is different from my build and the build in the video is that my cooler's drain spout was in the back of the cooler and not off to the side. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I may be doing wrong or how to make the seal more durable so that I can happily get this contraption pieced together without  >:( losing my mind >:(? Any help is appreciated!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:21:11 pm »
Maybe use something that's more of an adhesive than a sealant.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
Re: Buidling a Cooler Mash Tun...PLEASE HELP
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 02:29:27 pm »
It sounds like the hole for the drain spout in your cooler is larger than the one used in the video.  The mini keg bung should fit pretty snugly on its own without the sealant. 

If it is indeed too big for the mini keg bung, you could use a cooler bulkhead fitting that you could attach a ball valve to. Something like this:

Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 02:34:46 pm »
I ran into that problem with my cooler.  www.bargainfittings.com has bulkhead conversion kits and extra hardware to do a custom build on a cooler.  Good site.
Jon H.

Offline Lil' Chee & Me HBC

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 03:06:09 pm »
First of all,

Let me say how super cool it is that you post a question on a forum and get a response thrown in there from the president himself. I appreciate all the help guys. I think I am going to go with the more sturdy method of getting the custom fittings from bargainfittings.com. Here is the type of cooler I am using. Says its so insulated that it will hold ice for 5 days in 90 degree weather.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 03:10:24 pm »
FWIW, I found that a bulkhead and ball valve didn't work as well for me as the down and dirty method.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 03:38:32 pm »
Says its so insulated that it will hold ice for 5 days in 90 degree weather.

I have a Coleman somewhat similar to that one.  I don't know if it's an extreme.  It's years old.

I have opened it days after August parties and pulled cold beers from the ice water inside.  They ain't lying.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 03:43:43 pm »
FWIW, I found that a bulkhead and ball valve didn't work as well for me as the down and dirty method.

+1, I am going on three years with my cooler with some vinyl tubing forced through the drain hole. didn't take the cooler apart at all. I don't even have the fancy valve like Denny has. I just stick the open end under the handle and let gravity be my valve.

(Let Gravity Be Your Valve Baby)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 03:50:01 pm »
I used an assembly like Gary posted and it works well.  After 4 years I'm starting to see a couple of drips but other than that no issues.

I tried using a cooler like you posted a picture for but couldn't figure out a good way to make all the corners inside to be sure I wasn't leaving a lot of wort behind.

It may work great for you.  I admit I'm really paranoid, over think everything and doubt every design I've ever created.  On the other side of that, everything I've ever built works.   ::)

I'm sure it will work for you too.

Paul

** edited spelling of cooler.  Yes I'm OCD and have a beer named after ODC that I cleared with a friend who has a son who is OCD just to make sure he wouldn't be offended by a beer name that makes fun of being OCD.  God, need I need a drink.  Or maybe I've had enough.  Who the H#!! knows.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:16:23 pm by Slowbrew »
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 04:07:46 pm »
i tried to modify the whole on my igloo to use a bottling spigot.  i screwed up the plastic a bit and ended up having to put a big rubber gasket with a big metal washer on it.  it drips about 10-15 drops over the coarse of the mash.
Don AHA member

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 05:28:23 pm »
I used an assembly like Gary posted and it works well.  After 4 years I'm starting to see a couple of drips but other than that no issues.

I tried using a cooler like you posted a picture for but couldn't figure out a good way to make all the corners inside to be sure I wasn't leaving a lot of wort behind.

It may work great for you.  I admit I'm really paranoid, over think everything and doubt every design I've ever created.  On the other side of that, everything I've ever built works.   ::)

I'm sure it will work for you too.

Paul

** edited spelling of cooler.  Yes I'm OCD and have a beer named after ODC that I cleared with a friend who has a son who is OCD just to make sure he wouldn't be offended by a beer name that makes fun of being OCD.  God, need I need a drink.  Or maybe I've had enough.  Who the H#!! knows.
Funny stuff !  I put a big o-ring between the washer on the inside of the bulkhead and the cooler wall, then sealed around the washer thoroughly with the food grade sealant and it doesn't leak a drop. I just had a wild hair when I bought a bigger Coleman Extreme to pull the spout and build up. Works great though.
Jon H.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 12:22:29 pm »
+1, I am going on three years with my cooler with some vinyl tubing forced through the drain hole. didn't take the cooler apart at all. I don't even have the fancy valve like Denny has. I just stick the open end under the handle and let gravity be my valve.

I thought I was weird because that is what I was doing & hadn't heard of anyone else doing it.  It drips a little for me but not enough to worry about.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 01:52:03 pm »

I thought I was weird because that is what I was doing & hadn't heard of anyone else doing it.  It drips a little for me but not enough to worry about.

I'm not sure that the fact that I do something you do means you are not weird. I'm not saying you ARE weird, just that similarity to me does not convey a sense of normality.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 03:27:39 pm »
It sounds like the hole for the drain spout in your cooler is larger than the one used in the video.  The mini keg bung should fit pretty snugly on its own without the sealant. 

If it is indeed too big for the mini keg bung, you could use a cooler bulkhead fitting that you could attach a ball valve to. Something like this:

I'd much rather use one of these bulkheads than any amount of adhesive or sealer.

I've never had even the smallest leak.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 07:23:36 pm »
I agree with Narcout, I have the same bulkhead, mash screen and a valve on the outside, works flawlessly.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."