Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Tun size - I can't decide.  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
Mash Tun size - I can't decide.
« on: June 09, 2013, 01:16:55 pm »
Alright...I have spent basically all weekend reading up on mash tun sizes and have come here for the final word.  I am making the leap into all-grain  ;D and am in the process (was in the process) of making a mash tun cooler.

I right away gravitated toward the round igloo 10 gallon cooler and started piecing together the ball valve.

Then I started to think about down the road.  What if I wanted to do a 10 gallon batch?  What if I wanted to do a 10 gallon batch with high OG?  All these questions started flying. 

Granted, I have yet to do a 10 gallon batch and don't really foresee myself doing one in the near future...but I wouldn't mind making one purchase rather than multiple. 

I am thinking that the 10 gallon cooler may not be enough for a 10 gallon batch (that has yet to exist).

So, my question.  If I was to continue to brew 5 gallon batches...which will likely be 99% of the time, would a 60-70 quart cooler be too big?  I would hate to buy a cooler with so much head space that I loose temp because of my grandiose idea that I will brew 10 gallons some day.

So, what do you all say?  Stick with the 10 gallon cooler and just know I am limited or is it worth to invest in a 60-70 quart cooler...assuming that maintaining mash temps would be maintained?

Thanks for entertaining a question that has been beaten to death.

Cheers!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash Tun size - I can't decide.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:39:08 pm »
A 70 qt. cooler is a great choice for both 5 and 10 gal. batches.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 01:44:27 pm »
Thanks Denny!  I am going to go that route.  All I know is that I am going to be reading lots of dennybrew.com!  Time to get batch sparging. 

Thanks again. 
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 02:07:25 pm »
Thanks Denny!  I am going to go that route.  All I know is that I am going to be reading lots of dennybrew.com!  Time to get batch sparging. 

Thanks again. 
It's the best, easiest to understand all grain site out there.  I fly sparged for years, and I get more consistent results with this method by far, and therefore enjoy brewing even more. You'll love it.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 02:17:31 pm »
therefore enjoy brewing even more. You'll love it.

Music to my ears, man!  If it's not fun, why do it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 02:25:07 pm »
therefore enjoy brewing even more. You'll love it.

Music to my ears, man!  If it's not fun, why do it?
Exactly Denny !  I loved it before, but it's so much better when you make consistently good beer (instead of usually).  For me, I have a small library of brewing books and literature (Zymurgy, BYO), but dennybrew and later Bru'nWater have done more for my beer than all those publications rolled up together. Not close. It's all about the fun!
Jon H.

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 02:44:17 pm »
Alright...maybe one more question. I am actually in my 3rd store for a cooler as I type this. All the 60-70 quart coolers I have found either had wheels which make the interior odd shapes or the lid basically just sits on top making the quality questionable. Any thoughts of a regular rectangle cooler but it is only 52 quarts. Questionable for 10 gallon batches? Thanks again.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 03:16:40 pm »
Alright...maybe one more question. I am actually in my 3rd store for a cooler as I type this. All the 60-70 quart coolers I have found either had wheels which make the interior odd shapes or the lid basically just sits on top making the quality questionable. Any thoughts of a regular rectangle cooler but it is only 52 quarts. Questionable for 10 gallon batches? Thanks again.

the coleman extreme 72 qt is a good cooler. but a 52 qt will be fine for most 5-10 gallon batches.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 03:41:18 pm »

the coleman extreme 72 qt is a good cooler. but a 52 qt will be fine for most 5-10 gallon batches.

I use an Igloo 48 qt cooler for the bulk of my brewing.  I can make 10-12 gallons of a normal strength beer with no problem (although it does help if the recipe has some sugar).  I just purchased a Coleman 72 qt extreme cooler for big higher gravity batches.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 03:43:18 pm »
Somewhere along the line, you're always going to end up brewing a batch bigger than you possibly imagined.  Always over-plan.  Size matters.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 04:44:27 pm »
Thanks for all the replies fellas.  I was unsuccessful in my cooler purchase.  After visiting all the stores that I could think of, I couldn't find one that fit all of my wants/needs.

I came home to find where I could locate a 72 quart coleman extreme and it seems that every homebrewer is buying them because I can't even find them in stock online.  It looks like I may end up just having to go the 52 quart route, even though I would love to find a 72 quart. 

Thanks again everyone.  Much appreciated. 
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 05:27:43 pm »
Well, luck was on my side.  Found a 70qt xtreme on amazon.  A little more expensive than a big box store (actually double the price) but only about $10 more than the 10 gallon igloo I just returned....so not too bad.  Plus they only had like 20 left, so I jumped on it. 

Thanks again everyone and I cannot wait for my first all grain batch! ;D
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing