Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OnTap Liquid Beer Enchancer - WTF?  (Read 8786 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: OnTap Liquid Beer Enchancer - WTF?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 11:35:57 am »
I like the idea- for those times when good beer ain't available. Besides, what homebrewer hasn't tried adding hops or crystal malt to a Coors light?
...I wonder if I could make my own....

*raises hand*

I have never tried adding hops or crystal malt to Coors light or any other macro beer.  And what makes you think that using the extract could produce a "good beer""?
+1.  $$ spent on crap artificial flavorings could be spent on good beer in the first place. Good beer is everywhere ! Lipstick on a pig.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 02:17:45 pm »
Pigs everywhere just grunted in disgust

I'm just looking forward to the YouTube beer nerd reviews of this stuff. I can hear it now...

cornershot

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 04:42:51 pm »
I like the idea- for those times when good beer ain't available. Besides, what homebrewer hasn't tried adding hops or crystal malt to a Coors light?

*raises hand*

I have never tried adding hops or crystal malt to Coors light or any other macro beer.  And what makes you think that using the extract could produce a "good beer""?
+1.  $$ spent on crap artificial flavorings could be spent on good beer in the first place. Good beer is everywhere ! Lipstick on a pig.

For the record, I said "good beer" not "great beer" and IME/IMO good beer is not everywhere. Last wedding i attended had only bud/ bud lite. And the website does not specify ingredients- artificial or otherwise.
I tried adding hops and xtal to a Coors light 19 years ago. Didn't work. But I believe it can work! And FTR I didn't buy the Coors light! Someone left it at my house! I swear!
Denny, I bet you dry-hopped with that "catnip" on your slick, new avatar!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 06:00:14 pm »

*raises hand*

For the record, I said "good beer" not "great beer" and IME/IMO good beer is not everywhere. Last wedding i attended had only bud/ bud lite. And the website does not specify ingredients- artificial or otherwise.
I tried adding hops and xtal to a Coors light 19 years ago. Didn't work. But I believe it can work! And FTR I didn't buy the Coors light! Someone left it at my house! I swear!
Dude, drink what you like. I used the word artificial, because, while I'm no nutritional chemist, THEIR OWN SITE specifies "no calories, carbs, or sugars" in their product. That would at very least limit the "malt" components to  something umm....non-malty.  Free country.  I do maintain that good beer (not great) is more accessible now than at any time ever.  Obviously a BMC wedding reception would be a different story. 
Jon H.

cornershot

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 06:34:09 pm »

*raises hand*

Dude, drink what you like. I used the word artificial, because, while I'm no nutritional chemist, THEIR OWN SITE specifies "no calories, carbs, or sugars" in their product. That would at very least limit the "malt" components to  something umm....non-malty.  Free country.  I do maintain that good beer (not great) is more accessible now than at any time ever.  Obviously a BMC wedding reception would be a different story.

It might be just hop extract and natural color.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 09:55:00 am »

It might be just hop extract and natural color.
Yeah, probably some sinmar.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 09:11:08 pm »
OK, I just got my On Tap "Pale Ale" Liquid Beer Enhancer in the mail today and gave it a try. Basically it comes in a "Mio" style container. The ingredients are: Water, Propylene Glycol, Natural & Artificial Flavors, FD&C Yellow #6, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Blue #1. So my first guess that it used caramel coloring was off. Unfortunately, my second guess that it used hop extract appears to be off as well...

So I decided to give it a try just diluted in water to get an idea what it is. There is no specific dilution instructions on the package other then "Adjust to taste" and "always dilute in a glass of beer". The serving size on the "Nutrition facts" was listed as 2mL, so I used 1/4 tsp in 6oz of water to give the approximate concentration that would be added to a bottle can of beer. The resulting solution was maybe 4ish SRM, somewhere in the color range of a light apple juice.

Speaking of apple juice, the moment of truth was when I stuck my nose in the glass... and was hit with a distinct aroma of apple jolly ranchers. There was a hint of caramel in there as well, but that's it. Nothing remotely hoppy in the nose at all. I took a sip and it was slightly bitter followed by more of the apple jolly rancher flavor. It was slightly sweet, and pretty weak-flavored at the recommended dosage. There was also a touch of vegetal/herbal flavor, but it was almost medicinal and not pleasant at all.

So I proceeded to add the same amount to 6 ounces of PBR. It looks like it added maybe 1-2 SRM of color at most. The nose was more of the apple jolly rancher plus caramel, which overwhelmed the clean 2-row PBR aroma. The flavor was like you were drinking Pabst from an empty can of apple juice concentrate that wasn't rinsed out too well. In short, it ruined an otherwise OK beer.

So, needless to say I cannot endorse Ot Tap's product in the slightest, unless you are practicing for the BJCP test and need a stand-in for acetaldehyde. I have a funny feeling that's the major flavoring component in here. Makes me wonder if the "American Ale" version turns your beer into buttered popcorn. You will have to find that one out for yourself, as I will not be wasting yet another $8 bucks to test that one out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 02:57:08 am »
Well done, erockrph. You should've gotten an AHA grant for that.

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 04:12:53 am »
Thanks for taking one for the team, but after reading that list of chemicals I wouldn't take another sip of that stuff even if you paid me...
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

cornershot

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 04:27:59 am »
Thanks for taking one for the team, but after reading that list of chemicals I wouldn't take another sip of that stuff even if you paid me...

+1
I still like the idea and I have ideas on how to make my own but considering how often I get stuck with flavorless macros as my only choice, I will likely spend my precious time making actual beer.

narvin

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 08:53:51 am »
Maybe you could just throw a jolly rancher in a Coors lite and chug in an emergency situation.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 09:43:27 am »
Or if you want acetaldehyde in your beer, just buy cheaper beer. I've heard the Big Flats from Walgreen is pretty appley.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

cornershot

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 10:17:36 am »
My thoughts for making something like this:

1. Make a strong wort with specialty grains ONLY
2. Boil to concentrate somewhat
3. Ferment with a flavorful yeast
4. Freeze and drain ice core to concentrate further
5. Possibly boil off alcohol
6. Add hops at various stages depending on desired contribution
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:54:54 am by zimaclone »

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 10:45:15 am »

1. Make a strong wort with specialty grains
4. Call it "homebrew" and be done with it

FTFY
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

cornershot

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 10:54:02 am »

1. Make a strong wort with specialty grains
4. Call it "homebrew" and be done with it

FTFY

Not really the point. I find adjusting finished beer to be an interesting exercise- and a good learning experience.