Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Burner question  (Read 3323 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Burner question
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:31:38 am »
Has anybody had experience with both Blichman burners AND cheaper burners such as Bayou Classics? I noticed the burner on my SP10 is looking really rusty so I am thinking about a replacement. I just don't know if it is worth 3 times the price to go with the Blichman. But if I thought it actually performed better, would save some fuel, and I wouldn't have to replace it in 2 years, it might be worth it.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Burner question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:55:19 am »
I started with an SP10 and moved to the Blichmann about a year ago. The blichmann is more efficient in fuel usage, more durable (no rust),  and much quieter.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Burner question
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:01:02 am »
I've never owned anything else but can say the Blichmann is very solid. As far as propane usage I've done 3 hour long boils with ~3-4 gallons and have only used half of the propane tank.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 02:06:11 pm »
In the process of building a sculpture.  For it I bought a Blichmann that I am using in the interim.  It is MUCH quieter.  The larger burner area gives me the impression that I'm getting more even heating.  The stainless steel is beautiful.  To me, it has been well worth the investment.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 02:21:34 pm »
i upgraded to a blichmann about a year ago and am very happy with it. agree with above statements.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 04:23:34 pm »
I had the SP10 for about 12 years. It really got rusty and the performance suffered badly. Yellow flame; soot, etc. I cleaned it up and got rid of most of the rust and it ran fine. The cast iron finally broke where the gas fitting attached to the burner. It was toast.

Bought a Blichman next and love it. I'd suggest that if rust is your issue and $$ are a concern I'd just clean the thing and see if that helps. If you're going to buy a new burner regardless, then get the Blichman.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 06:48:46 pm »
I just ordered a Blichmann burner.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Burner question
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 06:56:24 pm »
That didn't take long. Blichmann, please forward along a royalty check to me.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 09:36:02 am »

You wont regret it. I have one and love it. Built like a brick sh!thouse, like everything John makes
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 10:58:23 am »
Are they big enough for 20 gal boils?  I'm looking for something that can handle at least 20 gals at a time.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 11:10:13 am »
Are they big enough for 20 gal boils?  I'm looking for something that can handle at least 20 gals at a time.

I haven't done any 20 gal boils, but I'm sure that the Blichmann burner is capable of handling it.  What size kettle are you using for the 20 gal boils? 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 11:57:06 am »

I haven't done any 20 gal boils, but I'm sure that the Blichmann burner is capable of handling it.  What size kettle are you using for the 20 gal boils?
30 gal Blichmann.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 12:05:34 pm »
Their website lists times to achieve boil for 20 gallons: http://blichmannengineering.com/brew_stand/brewstand_modular.html

(under the "burner data" tab)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 12:20:38 pm »

30 gal Blichmann.

You should have no problems then.  I just checked the setup instructions that came with my Blichmann and it has the settings to hold their 30 gal kettle.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 02:32:28 pm »
Is the Blichmann using a banjo burner?  The video looked identical to whats on my Bayou KAB6.  I thought it was 200K BTU though.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO