Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Easily dispense cask ale from a corney keg on its side  (Read 5495 times)

Offline gswest

• Conference
  • 1st Kit
Easily dispense cask ale from a corney keg on its side
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:07:02 pm »
I wanted to post this after reading the article on cask in Zymurgy as it claimed you shouldn't lay a corney on its side because the O-ring will leak - if it leaks it is worn out and should be replaced. Cask can be dispensed on its side through the "in" poppet with the "out" being used for a breather or to allow displacement with ambient air (I usually tape a coffee filter over it). In April we had 13 cask real ales brewed by 8 homebrewers dispensed in this way either by gravity or through five handpumps...and none leaked. I sent Zymurgy an email about it, but they never responded.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline gswest

• Conference
  • 1st Kit
Re: Easily dispense cask ale from a corney keg on its side
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 01:14:50 pm »
Yes, but I don't modify the corney at all, just use the "in poppet" to dispense and wrap a coffee filter on the "out" which is now on top. Started doing it this way about ten years ago when I left a CO2 bottle at home during a party and then when sober realized later I had dispensed similar to a firkin. I also fill bags with sand to elevate the rear of the keg and prevent rolling and put it into position as early as possible to promote settling. Here is a recap - http://www.zymurology.org/Blog/?p=573

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:47:28 pm »
Do you remove the out post and then tape the coffee filter on it?

One other question, do you serve with a cobra tap? Or do you have some other method?

Its sounds cool. I have always wanted to have a cask ale party with my club but didn't want to buy a firkin.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 09:42:38 am »
Kinda like this....

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell