Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: GOt my frist batch of kegs  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
GOt my frist batch of kegs
« on: June 14, 2013, 02:07:14 pm »
SO i just got my first batch of kegs in the mail and i had some questions.

Should they have been shipped to me under pressure?
anyone have a suggested clean regime? inside and outside!
can i get the posts off of them without having a pinlock socket?

Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
Re: GOt my frist batch of kegs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 02:27:26 pm »
1. Doesn't seem to unusual to have them shipped under pressure.  A handy trick is to store them under pressure, so that when you go to use one you have that reassurance that it's still holding pressure.  If they're coming shipped that way, that's a nice touch.

2. Disassemble the keg and fill it with 3 gallons of PBW solution.  Let it soak for a bit, then flip it over into a bucket to let the top half soak.  Finally, scrub it down a bit and rinse.  I like to go after the threading for the posts with a toothbrush.  A dip tube cleaning brush is nice to have here, too.  Don't forget to check all the o-rings and poppets and replace them as necessary.

3. Yep, just use a box wrench so you can work around the pins.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:39:15 pm »
If they didn't recondition the o-rings, go get some new ones and replace them now.  I bought bulk rings from McMaster-Carr a lot cheaper than buying the kits.  I have no idea if the pinlock o-rings are different...mine are ball lock.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 02:46:30 pm »
If they didn't recondition the o-rings, go get some new ones and replace them now.  I bought bulk rings from McMaster-Carr a lot cheaper than buying the kits.  I have no idea if the pinlock o-rings are different...mine are ball lock.

From an old thread, McMaster Carr part numbers:

Post o-ring ($2.15 for 100):
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9452k23/

Dip tube o-ring ($1.96 for 100):
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9452k172/

Lid o-ring ($12.69 for 10):
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9452k218/

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 05:58:03 pm »

I've heard that some people have good luck with getting a slightly larger size of post o-ring.  I guess pin lock posts are ever so slightly bigger around than ball lock posts.  I haven't tried it myself - I'm doing fine with the same size everyone uses for ball lock kegs, though I do have to be careful because any lateral pressure whatsoever on the disconnects can cause a leak.