Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold age?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Cold age?
« on: June 11, 2013, 01:17:30 pm »
Read on the below site that the beer you brew ferments for a week then "cold  ages" for a week. What is this about?

http://www.vinepark.com/brewery.html

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Cold age?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34:50 pm »
Cold age, in this context means BS. really what they are saying is that they rush your beer through a 1 week fermentation then cold crash it to drop yeast from suspension whether it is done or not and bottle it for you.

I'm willing to bet that ferment it pretty warm to make sure it attenuates all the way (notice I did NOT say finishes)

**EDIT TO ADD**

Cold crashing can be really useful if you have the ability by the way. If your beer is done, has reached FG and tastes good but the yeast is taking it's time dropping out cold crashing will often do the trick. I cold crash pretty much all my brews but I don't let the calendar decide when it's done. That's for the beer to decide.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:36:24 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 01:37:18 pm »
Mort beat me too it.  Cold crashing is common for pro-breweries and homebrewers with temperature control. It helps clarify the beer. But I wouldn't do it after one week - not in a homebrew setting anyway.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:38:01 pm »
Doesn't it depend upon the strain of yeast?  Some, like Cal ale will finish in a week.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 02:43:14 pm »
Doesn't it depend upon the strain of yeast?  Some, like Cal ale will finish in a week.

sure, I have had beer finished and kegged in a week. But it's a narrow range of beers that will be at their best after that short a time (in a homebrew setting).

it depends on the yeast strain and the recipe in general. I was more speaking to the BoP place advertisement and the idea that every beer recipe can be done and ready to go after 1 week fermenting and 1 week cold crash. I would rather they did 1.6 weeks fermenting and .4 weeks cold crashing. for that matter you really only need about 1-2 days near 32 to drop most yeast strains out. so 12 days fermenting and 2 days cold crashing then to bottles.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:19:12 am »
Could they be forcing it to ferment fast by overpitching?  gotta figure at 12.5 gallon batches they are pitching slurry from previous batches?
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 09:36:03 am »

you really only need about 1-2 days near 32 to drop most yeast strains out. so 12 days fermenting and 2 days cold crashing then to bottles.

That would seem like a much better schedule.  I can see what they are trying to accomplish but it might turn some off to home brewing if the batches don't come out tasting their best.

Reminds me of the old Seinfeld episode where Kramer is going into business with Poppy to open a make your own pizza pie restaurant.  ;D
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 09:59:07 am »
It is not difficult to get a beer to reach fg in 3-5 days.
The recipes are provided, you must pick one.
Cold age and cold crash are two different things. My guess is the cold aging is around 60
I would assume the company has made all the recipes before and knows how to make it work. I doubt all their recipes stick exactly to the "format" described, but generally do. They are merely trying to teach people how to make beer, not win medals. It is really easy to make decent beer.