Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buidling a Cooler Mash Tun...PLEASE HELP  (Read 6058 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Buidling a Cooler Mash Tun...PLEASE HELP
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 11:16:39 am »
When I put a bulkhead on my cooler I found I was getting incomplete draining.  The bulkhead is rigid and held the screen off the floor of the cooler.  By using tubing through the cooler wall, the braid laid on the bottom of the cooler and produced a siphon, which drained the cooler more completely.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 06:50:38 pm »
Mine sits nicely in the channel that runs down the center of the cooler. There is a small gap underneath, maybe 1/8" or less, so I guess if you wanted to you could bend the screen downward a bit or flatten it, but that just doesn't seem pragmatic and I can't imagine the loss is more than an oz.

Plus, it looks awesome!
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 07:01:45 pm »
Mine sits nicely in the channel that runs down the center of the cooler. There is a small gap underneath, maybe 1/8" or less, so I guess if you wanted to you could bend the screen downward a bit or flatten it, but that just doesn't seem pragmatic and I can't imagine the loss is more than an oz.

Plus, it looks awesome!

+1.  My screen sits right in the channel too, so we probably have the same cooler. For that cooler I think the bulkhead conversion works fantastic.  With a different cooler where it didn't drain as well, I would probably feel differently.  I love it though.
Jon H.