General Category > Equipment and Software

Inline Aeration

(1/2) > >>

In The Sand:
I've recently made some upgrades in equipment.  Bought a Chugger SS pump and a Blichmann Therminator plate chiller.  I'm now looking into oxygenation choices, so I have a shorter lag time to drink.  I've was looking at this one and am curious as to its application and efficiency/ease-of-use.  I plan on chilling prior to aerating.  Should I pump the wort through the plate chiller at a low flow rate so I don't get backflow into the O2 line?  Also, is the 2-micron stone sufficient, or does anyone else have suggestions on a different inline system around the same price?

(BTW I know there are lots of threads on aeration, but I couldn't find something along these lines)

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy K:
I can't tell you much about it, but it should be easy to add a check-valve on the O2 line to prevent backflow. Then you can chill as fast as you want.

dak0415:
I believe that the aeration stone is placed AFTER the chiller as it is going into the fermenter so there would be very little back-pressure at that point.  Put a little pressure on the O2 line before you start and you will prevent backflow.

In The Sand:

--- Quote from: dak0415 on June 10, 2013, 12:36:08 PM ---I believe that the aeration stone is placed AFTER the chiller as it is going into the fermenter so there would be very little back-pressure at that point.  Put a little pressure on the O2 line before you start and you will prevent backflow.

--- End quote ---

I'm sure the backflow would be minimal, but according to the instructions you are to run off half the wort before starting the O2.

And a check valve may do the trick.  Thanks Jimmy.

In The Sand:
Also, what should I oxygenate with?  Just ambient air using a pump, or pure "food grade" O2?  I read some posts about potential for over-oxygenating with straight O2, but apparently you can't with air mixture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version