Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Priming with Stevia Packets  (Read 2751 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Priming with Stevia Packets
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:10:21 pm »
So, I had a little extra beer when I racked to my kegs today.  I bottled two 750 ml bottles and am thinking about priming with Stevia packets.  As I noticed on the back it's actually dextrose, or corn sugar.   One packet is 1 gram of stevia.  How many for each bottle?  I was thinking two.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Priming with Stevia Packets
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 01:13:09 pm »
Stevia is very sweet. It's blended with dextrose so that there is something tangible in the packet. They would work for priming though. If you want 5oz dextrose, you'd need 141 packets.  :o I guess that would be 3-4/750 mL bottle.

But it will make your beer taste sweet. The stevia sweetness won't ferment out. Good option for cider.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:15:09 pm by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 01:17:55 pm »
I'm guessing all that artificial sweetener (i.e., the actual stevia) would still be there even after the dextrose had fermented out.  That might result in the beer being a lot sweeter than was intended.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 01:29:44 pm »
The sweetening chemicals in stevia are glycosides.  The glycosides might be fermentable (much like the glycoside compounds in FWH) in which case the ultimate sweetness would be somewhat unpredictable.  However, you are likely to have a beer that is much sweeter than intended.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 01:32:10 pm »
Ok, I understand.  I don't think I'm gonna use it.  Don't want a sweet rye stout!  Thanks guys!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"