Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Topping Off  (Read 3217 times)

Offline kyle38

• 1st Kit
Topping Off
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:13:24 pm »
I brewed yeseterday and while transferring to my fermenter had a spill.  I lost about 3 of 10 gallons, but still pitched my yeast.  Would it be ok to re-brew another small batch to top off the fermenter?
On tap:

Cherry Saison
Tripel
Orange & Black IPA (2012 world champ brew)
Robust Porter with Brett

On Deck:

White IPA
Flanders Red

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: Topping Off
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:25:16 pm »
Whoa! Sorry for your loss   :'(  I don't see why you couldn't do that.  Might be a bit tricky to get your IBUs and gravity figured out, but it's a lot better than topping off with water.  I suppose you could just chalk it up to pouring some out for your homies, but if you have the time and ingredients...why not?
Trey W.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 02:33:33 pm »
Oopsy daisy. Thanks for posting. Makes me feel good about the little stains on my man cave floor

Offline kyle38

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:00:27 pm »
Cool, thanks for the feedback.  I'll give it a shot tomorrow, I was pretty excited about this beer and was really bummed about the spill.  It's a bit difficult to explain...I had a valve on my fermenter get stuck in the open position.
On tap:

Cherry Saison
Tripel
Orange & Black IPA (2012 world champ brew)
Robust Porter with Brett

On Deck:

White IPA
Flanders Red

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 08:01:52 pm »
All of my "spills" are a bit hard to explain

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:41:08 pm »

What's hard to explain about having too much of the final product?  ;D
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 01:01:13 pm »
As long as fermentation is still fairly active. I wouldn't add fresh wort to yeast that have slowed down or, especially, if they've floculated.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline osubrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 04:52:41 pm »
+1 on not adding fresh wort a day later to a fermenting wort.  Also, wouldn't try to hold off pitching yeast to a fresh wort over a day.  Sorry for the lost... RIP spilled wort, but let it go.  Enjoy what you can still ferment and drink.  Trying to top off with fresh wort or fresh water at this point just means you will end up screwing up the 7 good gallons remaining.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 05:03:42 pm »
+1 on not adding fresh wort a day later to a fermenting wort.  Also, wouldn't try to hold off pitching yeast to a fresh wort over a day.  Sorry for the lost... RIP spilled wort, but let it go.  Enjoy what you can still ferment and drink.  Trying to top off with fresh wort or fresh water at this point just means you will end up screwing up the 7 good gallons remaining.

I don't know about that. I mean I wouldn't add fresh wort after a week but 1 day? sure. and I hold off pitching yeast for more than 24 hours all the time. no problems.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 10:13:47 am »
If you have the yeast, you could also brew a small batch, let it ferment on its own, then blend the two together after they're done.  On the other hand, for my setup at least, brewing a large batch isn't much more work than brewing a small batch, so I would be inclined to leave the 7 gallons alone and brew 10 gallons of the same beer again after the first one finished.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Re: Topping Off
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 08:43:17 pm »

What's hard to explain about having too much of the final product?  ;D

Yesterday draining my mash tun. Wife says "I think you're leaking"   I look down and valve is open on the boil kettle. Only lost a quart, but ya... Too much final product or too many distractions. All is well though

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Topping Off
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 04:13:13 pm »

I don't know about that. I mean I wouldn't add fresh wort after a week but 1 day? sure. and I hold off pitching yeast for more than 24 hours all the time. no problems.
+1
Dave Zach