Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Orange Hefe?  (Read 8881 times)

Offline paulaner

• 1st Kit
Orange Hefe?
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:21:53 pm »
I'm looking for a good recipe for a hefeweizen with a distinct orange taste. I know this is one of the least popular homebrews but I really want to make a refreshing summer beer that I can enjoy with my friends. I tried a homebrewed hefe that my friend made from extract but it tasted rather plain. I'm wondering if I can add orange peals, or even a natural orange extract, to give it more flavor. If so, when would be best to make these additions and how much?

BTW, this will be my 3rd batch, so I'm still fairly new to this. Thanks!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Orange Hefe?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 02:40:14 pm »
If you want a distinctly ORANGE taste you will indeed likely have to use flavourings. pretty sure that's how they make 'shock-top'. However there are hops that can give you a citrus note. You could try orange peel but I am not sure that's going to get you what you want either.

I would brew a nice simple hefe with 40% pils extract 60% wheat extract, bitter with something neutral or something noble. for the yeast you can use a german hefe yeast to get the banana/close thing going to some extent or use an American wheat yeast (or plain old dry us-05) to get a neutral flavor profile and then serve it with orange slices.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:01:34 pm »
I would just orange zest the hell out of it at flame out.  That will definitely do the trick.  And/Or add a some corriander to it, i.e. Belgian White minus the Belgian yeast and chamomille.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:40:34 pm »
If you're going for something like Shock Top, then I'd just use orange soda flavoring. It may not be the most high brow approach, but it should get the job done. I certainly won't judge you.

For an extract brew I'd use half wheat DME and half Pils DME, shoot for 1.045ish OG, with about 20 IBUs of Magnum at 60 minutes. I would use a clean ale strain (US-05 if you're using dry yeast) and ferment in the low 60s. I wouldn't use a true hefeweizen yeast for this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Orange Hefe?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 05:02:06 pm »
You can also do something as simple as adding a fresh orange slice to a traditional Hefe when you pour. IMO this gives a really nice, fresh orange to the beer
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:41:08 am »
I've made a plain American wheat and then dosed the secondary with blood oranges and it turned out quite nice. 
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline paulaner

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 11:05:59 am »
Thanks, everyone! I found some natural orange extract and some sugar free Orange Crush flavoring on Amazon that I think might work but I'm not sure how much of it I would need for a 5 gallon batch. Thoughts?

Natural Orange Extract (a bit pricey)
http://www.amazon.com/Bakto-Flavors-Natural-Orange-Extract/dp/B001OY262Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1UFP211VTFUW9&coliid=I37DH4T2OFNZ6K

Orange Crush (cheaper alternative)
http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Crush-Singles-packets-bottle/dp/B007KWQJQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371056478&sr=8-1&keywords=orange+soda+flavoring

Also, would it be crazy to add some lactose to it to give it an orange cream taste?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 11:19:06 am »
Thanks, everyone! I found some natural orange extract and some sugar free Orange Crush flavoring on Amazon that I think might work but I'm not sure how much of it I would need for a 5 gallon batch. Thoughts?

Natural Orange Extract (a bit pricey)
http://www.amazon.com/Bakto-Flavors-Natural-Orange-Extract/dp/B001OY262Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1UFP211VTFUW9&coliid=I37DH4T2OFNZ6K

Orange Crush (cheaper alternative)
http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Crush-Singles-packets-bottle/dp/B007KWQJQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371056478&sr=8-1&keywords=orange+soda+flavoring

Also, would it be crazy to add some lactose to it to give it an orange cream taste?

after the base beer is done pour 4 (four) 2fl samples and dose each one with a different measured amount of extract. When you decide what level you like scale that up to the remaining ounces in the batch and there you go. I would probably add a bit less than the scaled up amount, gently stir, and taste again cause it's easy to add more but...
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:23:57 am »
I am anti-extract.  But, if you choose to go that route...

This is the only extract I would use.  I hate tasting artificial flavors in beers.  Not all extracts are created equally.  This is the best extract out there.  Dose up to flavor as Mort suggests.

http://www.olivenation.com/Pure-Orange-Extract-P91C55.aspx

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 01:17:41 pm »
I would go with coriander.  Grind it up, you get orange.

I would be careful with orange peel, as it tends to add more bitterness than orangeness.  Fresh zest may be different, I do not know.

If you choose to use extract, I would use the highest quality one you can find.  Probably what hoser recommends.

My route would be coriander and a fresh orange slice when served.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 09:53:24 am »
I think an orange slice garnish would be the best way to control the level of orange.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing