Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is there a possibility of "Over malting" grain?  (Read 4887 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Is there a possibility of "Over malting" grain?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 07:35:36 am »
This might be something that happens with traditional floor malting. Even the most skilled malster may not be able to ensure even germination w/o the use of a lot of automation and technology.

dean, I think you confuse the spire with the rootlets. It is the rootlets that are removed after drying. The spire generally stays inside the husk and even if it grows out it seems quite sturdy and won't easily break off.

Kai

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 07:42:16 am »
posted into the wrong thread. Again :(

Kai
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:49:44 am by Kaiser »

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 07:46:56 am »
dean, I think you confuse the spire with the rootlets. It is the rootlets that are removed after drying. The spire generally stays inside the husk and even if it grows out it seems quite sturdy and won't easily break off.

Kai

Yeh, I meant the growth coming out of the seed... endosperm?  Anyway yes, they dry (kiln?)  the grain and tumble it (not roll it) to separate it from the malted grain.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 09:11:56 am »
Good to know... I have an unopened sack of TF MO in the garage. I'll have to check it out.

+1

I'm glad I read this thread as I also have a new bag of TF MO from North Country. TF produces tons of grain and I'm hoping this is a freak thing. I'm not sure of the effects of this condition and hope they are insignificant.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:14:32 am by bluesman »
Ron Price