Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann floor burner vs SP 10 revisited.  (Read 2577 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Blichmann floor burner vs SP 10 revisited.
« on: June 13, 2013, 11:34:39 am »
I just received my new brew toy..er...piece of equipment. I haven't tried it out yet but my first impression is I paid for a lot more than just a name.

That burner ought to reduce the amount of time I wait for a boil, therefore, the amount of time I spend in a sweltering humid brewery (garage).

Notice the pot retainers. I like that little added safety factor. They are all stainless, everything but the burner itself is stainless, and they are adjustable from 15 to 20 inches. So there is plenty of room if I ever decide to upgrade to larger batches.

There is also quite a difference in the damper area where the regulator hooks up.
This old Gymrat got a good workout carrying the thing to my brewery. It is really heavy duty.

I like how it even has "igniter" holes. I always hated putting my little lighter thingie under the old burner to reach where the gas comes out. It was always rather cumbersome at best.

This was one really well designed piece of equipment.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Blichmann floor burner vs SP 10 revisited.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 12:12:20 pm »
Congrats on your upgrade! 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:25:57 pm »
Feels good to know you'll never have to wait on that SP 10 to heat more than 5 gallons doesn't it! Let alone 12 or so. Jeez that used to take me forever. Least efficient and fun part of my (former) brew days.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 12:28:34 pm »
I love my Blichmann burners.  I can turn the heat down to maintain the boil once it starts to save LP and reduce my boil-off.  At a mid-range burner setting, I was getting ~1.5 gal per hour boil off.  That's pretty vigorous.  These things sip the gas anyway, they are very efficient.

You made a great choice.  Enjoy it!

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 12:42:03 pm »
Nice.  Mine will be here tomorrow.  After dropping some pretty heavy hints to my wife on what I wanted for our anniversary, she bought me something else (non-brewing related).  So I bought it for myself.  I will replace my Bayou Classic KAB4 burner, which is a good burner, and use this one for the boil.  The old one will just heat strike/sparge water.
Trey W.