Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Category for Coconut Porter  (Read 9593 times)

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: BJCP Category for Coconut Porter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 01:00:22 pm »
So, I am going to continue this age old debate.  I brewed a coconut porter with coffee and cacao nibs. SHV or Specialty/23?  If coconut is considered a fruit and coffee/cacao are spice than Cat. 23, no?  But, if coconut is considered a spice then SHV would be the logical answer?  Obviously, it could be entered in both, but can only submit into one category for this contest.  So confusing with the coconut....

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: BJCP Category for Coconut Porter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 02:19:22 pm »
There is another post somewhere here with a quote from Gordon Strong that coconut should be considered a nut (yes, it's a fruit, but the flavor is more similar to a nut) so it should go in SHV. However, he also recognized that it's not clearly stated. I've seen coconut beers do fine as fruit beers. With coffee, cocoa, and coconut - I think you could go with either SHV or Specialty.

Edit: Wait - That was this post. You tricked me...  Still, with all three I don't think you'd be questioned in either 21A or 23.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:21:36 pm by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958