Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good news! Beer bellies are a myth!  (Read 12861 times)

cornershot

Re: Good news! Beer bellies are a myth!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 04:45:33 am »
I'm 40 and have been called skinny. I have a hard, physical job. I play even harder. I try to eat healthy. I consider moderate beer consumption(~2-3/ day) part of my healthy diet. My dr. says I'm in perfect health.

Offline jeremy0209

• Cellarman
    • Brewing with Jeremy
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 07:06:58 am »
Sorry if i scare you. My metabolism is young, I can eat garbage all day and sit on the couch with brew all night, without gaining any weight. I have been told the only way I can gain weight, besides lifting weights "Like thats going to happen," is to get older. 150lbs and not yet thirty ;)
Your time will come, son.  Your time will come.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 07:07:56 am »
Skinny homebrewers scare me.

Skinny doctors bother me.  Wish my doc was like my dentist ('bout five feet tall by five feet around) then he wouldn't be able lecture me about my weight.
Get a new doctor.
Hi 1-800-DOCTORS, can you recommend a doctor with worse habits than my own?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 07:29:58 am »
Sorry if i scare you. My metabolism is young, I can eat garbage all day and sit on the couch with brew all night, without gaining any weight. I have been told the only way I can gain weight, besides lifting weights "Like thats going to happen," is to get older. 150lbs and not yet thirty ;)
+1 !  I could eat anything I wanted until ~ age 33.  Then my metabolism hit a brick wall . 
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Good news! Beer bellies are a myth!
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 07:32:43 am »
 I never had a beer belly until I opened my brewery. Sat at an office desk job 40+ hours a week and barely an oz of fat. Now I'm on my feet all day lifting heavy things and running from one end of brewery to other with barely a minute to grab lunch.  But at 4 o'clock after brewing all day I find myself compelled to hit the taps.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 07:44:48 am »
+1 !  I could eat anything I wanted until ~ age 33.  Then my metabolism hit a brick wall .

Too true.  Until age 35 I couldn't eat/drink enough to gain weight.  The older I get, the faster I gain.  At 35 I weighed 160.  By 40, 175.  At 48 I hit 205 and that's after cutting way back on calories from food and booze.  I'm starting to think air is making me fat.  Maintain some kind of exercise program or your young, invincible body will turn on you with a vengeance.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 08:40:54 am »
I've always had terrible metabolism (but it got worse when I hit thirty) but I am fairly diligent about my diet and exercise so I'm fairly thin. I don't drink as much beer as I would like to but I feel like I have a good balance on everything in my life and I'm comfortable with that. An extra six pack or two and I'd easily be carrying a pony keg.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 09:00:28 am »
This was taken on my 57th birthday.
I spend half an hour twice a week in my gym doing resistance training and walk a mile everyday with my dog Ralph. I watch my sugars and saturated fats. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Other than that I drink 1 or 2 beers every night after work and have 6 or 7 each day on my weekends. I really think it is the way most people eat with their beer that puts the pounds on.

Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 09:20:14 am »
Good point Joe. Most people consume calorie intensive foods with thier beer. Then blame the beer for the belly. My eating habbits are very clean and I still have a 30 inch waist in spite of all the beer I drink.

Mind if I ask how old you are?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 09:21:33 am »

Indeed!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 09:24:00 am »
Good point Joe. Most people consume calorie intensive foods with thier beer. Then blame the beer for the belly. My eating habbits are very clean and I still have a 30 inch waist in spite of all the beer I drink.

Mind if I ask how old you are?

Ah, I see above!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 10:47:32 am »
I'm as old as Denny and didn't get the memo to gain weight.  I did put on 15 pounds when I quit smoking in 1990, but other than that I'd say my beer consumption is irrelevant to beer belly.  Then again I don't often go without several beers per day, so I might be a lot thinner if I were dry, but I also doubt that'll happen any time soon.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 04:59:33 pm »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 05:32:26 pm »
I never had a beer belly until I opened my brewery. Sat at an office desk job 40+ hours a week and barely an oz of fat. Now I'm on my feet all day lifting heavy things and running from one end of brewery to other with barely a minute to grab lunch.  But at 4 o'clock after brewing all day I find myself compelled to hit the taps.
The same here.
I think I gain 20 lb in 2 years.
I tell to my kids that I need that muse to lift 150 lb kegs.

And the worst of it Is rarely have beer at home.
Nobody told me that before I opened a brewery.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline chipster27

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 09:57:20 pm »
I'm all legend from the waist down and myth from the waist up, LOL

Speaking of waists, do you know why they call it a waist, Because it's a waste to have not put another set of breasts there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk