Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chicago in October?  (Read 5186 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Chicago in October?
« on: June 13, 2013, 03:00:03 pm »
Any can't miss beer spots?

Last time I was in Chicago was 1994 and I was a penniless teenager waiting on the train to move on. snuck up the sears tower as high as we could before we got kicked out and that was about it.

This time around I will be staying three nights near N. LaSalle and W. Randolph. Public transport or taxi totally okay with me.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
Re: Chicago in October?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:42:33 pm »
Revolution Brewing - solid brewery, their Porter is definitely worth a look-see-taste; I believe their pub serves food but I've never actually made it there.  Near the northern (i.e., toward O'Hare) California stop on the Blue line.  Don't ask me why one line has two stops called California.

Half Acre - a young 'un; they only opened up about 3 years ago.  Used to be my neighborhood brewery so I may be partial, but I think they do really good things there.  They opened a fairly bare-bones taproom this spring, and I had a gas of a time when I did their brewery tour a couple summers back.  Closest train stop is Montrose on the Brown line.

Goose Island's brewpub goes without saying. I've never been to their Wrigleyville location, but their (slightly north of) Goose Island location used to be a favorite stopping point on the way home from work.  On beer terms, though, if you have to pick one to miss this is probably it.  They do have one or two local-only brews, but thanks to the influence of a certain large brewing conglomerate who shall remain unnamed, most of what you'll see here is probably even available at McMurdo Station by now.  Short hop from downtown via public transit, though - take the Red line to North/Clybourn.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 04:02:51 pm »
grab some Argus brewery beers also. they don't have a particular spot to go as far as i know. but they usually be in some of the places out and about. i have been to the brewery but i would not recommend the neighborhood.
Don AHA member

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 07:21:10 am »
Straight west at Halsted and Randolph is Haymarket. In addition to their own beers, which are great, they usually have other local breweries on tap too. You could probably walk there in 15-20 minutes, or it would be a short cab ride.
Mark Gres

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 08:37:59 am »
Straight west at Halsted and Randolph is Haymarket. In addition to their own beers, which are great, they usually have other local breweries on tap too. You could probably walk there in 15-20 minutes, or it would be a short cab ride.

awesome, that place looks like a winner. Thanks for the tip.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Chicago in October?
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 11:37:59 am »
If you like pizza as well go to Piece- buck town neighborhood, I believe, great pizza and some good beer they brew on site!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline fatguybrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 11:55:58 am »
The beer scene is exploding in the Chi. Hit up Piece for sure. But I always recomend this for Chicago beer newbies!

http://www.chicagobrewbus.com/

Offline seefish

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 12:30:30 pm »
One of the best beer bars in the city is the Map Room, a neighborhood bar with awesome beer selection with rotating beer of the month.  Union Jack for $4 is pretty good around here :)

A place I haven't made it to yet that I really want to go is called Local Option, supposed to be a great beer bar and I believe that make some of their own.  Last I looked, they were rated as one of the best places in the country on ratebeer, if you hold that to any esteem.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 01:18:08 pm »
Revolution's brewpub is a must, IMHO. Bacon fat popcorn!

Monk's Pub is close to where you're staying. They usually have a decent lineup, but they're closed weekends.

I love Hopleaf, but it is a hike from the Loop.

And this place just opened: http://www.dryhopchicago.com/

There's also a Mariano's market east on Randolph that has  a pretty good selection of local beers and does mixed six packs. It's a bit of a walk, but there's a good breakfast place on the way
It's the Lakeshore East store: http://www.marianos.com/StoreLocator.aspx
http://www.wildberrycafe.com/
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline brizz842

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 02:37:09 pm »
I agree that the Map Room is one of the best beer bars in the city.  Great staff, great crowd, wonderful atmosphere.

All others mentioned are winners as well, but I must admit, I am not a fan of Haymarket.  Too sports bar-ish, and the food is mediocre at best.

If you make it to the tap room at Half Acre, you are within walking distance of The Fountainhead.  Great beer and whiskey selection, and the food is good to.

Keep in mind that you can get just about anywhere you want to go easily on the CTA.

Offline edvinjonsson

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 03:02:28 pm »
MapRoom, Hopleaf, Local Option, Haymarket, Revolution Brewing, Monk's Pub, Goosle Island, Bangers & Lace. The craft beer scene is pretty awesome there, those are the best ones I remember.

Offline edvinjonsson

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 03:16:26 pm »
The HopLeaf was my favorite, the food is great and the beer selection is amazing.

Local Option has a really good beer selection that's always changing, but most of them are above 9% ABV, and its kind of a Rock/Metal atmosphere. They also make their own beer.

The food at Goose Island's brewpub is ok, but their beers are really good, they have some beers in there that you can't find anywhere else.

Monk's pub has a nice belgian beer selection, and the floor is covered with peanut shells, if you have peanuts you have to throw the shells in the floor too.

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
Chicago in October?
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 07:01:21 am »
Another vote for revolution and haymarket.  Have fun. Cheers!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 08:08:01 am »
We go to Chicago a fair amount, so or favorites are.

The Map Room.
Haymarket. Pete Crowley's place.
Revolution.
The Pubican. More of an expensive Gastropub, but very good.
Sheffields for BBQ and American Craft beer.
Goose Island brewpubs are OK
Jake Melnicks is not too far and is OK.

The Rock Bottom at Grand used to be a good plan B when Pete Crowley was the brewer. Don't know now.

Piece is OK, but often their beers are not on but they have guest taps. Too crowded for us.
Local Option seemed expensive just after drinking at the Map Room. Very Metal!
Owen & Engine was OK. British Pub atmosphere.
Hopleaf had good beer, the food was a little lacking (too much time in Belgium makes one critical of the Frites).

The Lagunitas tap room my be open at the new Chicago brewery by then.

If you are staying at the Allegro(one we have stayed at), there is a Blue Line station in the Thompson Center. Red line is at State Street. Those 2 lines get you to most places.

A must for beer and food is the Girl and the Goat. Excellent food and a thoughtful beer list. You can eat at the communal tables early or at the bar without reservations, otherwise a very long wait. Now there is the Little Goat across the street with a simpler menu.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!