Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cacao Nibs  (Read 8292 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Re: Cacao Nibs
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 07:55:53 am »
Rhoobarb - care to share that recipe?

I brew a Chocolate Stout that calls for 8oz. of nibs in secondary.  I leave them for 14 days b/c I'm looking for a good chocolate aroma and taste profile. I'd recommend half of that for the same amount of days or, as Gordon suggests, check it.

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 10:12:46 am »
I've never worked with nibs.  What flavors do they impart?  Is it an unmistakable chocolate flavor?  I know there is all sorts of processing that can be done on nibs to turn them into cocoa powder such as roasting, alkali, etc., that I was wondering whether you get a lot of chocolate-ness out of it or whether it imparts other unique flavors.  In other words, if I want a definite chocolate taste, do nibs give you that or are you better off going with something like a chocolate malt or using cocoa powder.  This is probably too general of a question because, like coffee, I'm sure it is very dependent upon the cocoa pod, where it comes from, and how it's handled.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 10:36:15 am »
I've never worked with nibs.  What flavors do they impart?  Is it an unmistakable chocolate flavor?  I know there is all sorts of processing that can be done on nibs to turn them into cocoa powder such as roasting, alkali, etc., that I was wondering whether you get a lot of chocolate-ness out of it or whether it imparts other unique flavors.  In other words, if I want a definite chocolate taste, do nibs give you that or are you better off going with something like a chocolate malt or using cocoa powder.  This is probably too general of a question because, like coffee, I'm sure it is very dependent upon the cocoa pod, where it comes from, and how it's handled.

buy some, eat some. I get a sort of cross between chocolate and walnuts. with a fat content more like pine or macadamia. It is delicious and does very much say chocolate without shouting it. I have not used them in a beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce