Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: using half of a white labs vial  (Read 8251 times)

Offline landsrud

• 1st Kit
using half of a white labs vial
« on: June 16, 2013, 05:36:27 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm making a 2.5 gallon batch and have a white labs vial. I'm half inclined to just pitch the entire vial anyway (though I've read most suggest doing a starter instead of straight pitching a vial but that's another story) but I pitched half. I closed up the vial and put the remainder back in the fridge. I'm new to yeast, but would like to start mixing and keeping strands alive/dormant - previously only used dry yeast packets.

1. Did I just waste what was left?

2. Will it just hang out until the expiration date or now that freshness seal is broken it will never be the same? What will happen to it?

3. What else can I do with it? 
-----------------------------------
in the primary:
:(

in the secondary:

conditioning:
Westvleteren quadrupel clone (2.5 gal)
http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=1241

in bottles:
Imperial Stout

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: using half of a white labs vial
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:56:36 pm »
I would give it no more than a week personally

I would have just pitched the whole vial. If it was just today I would go ahead and pitch the rest. Then you can call your 2.5 gal batch a starter for the next brew.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 06:28:48 pm »
You could make a 1L starter and add it. Let it ferment and stick that in the fridge when done. That would keep it healthy.  Might be fine as is, not sure about that.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
using half of a white labs vial
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 06:46:25 pm »
A white labs vial has about enough viable cells to pitch into a 1.030 beer without a starter, assuming the yeast is extremely fresh. So depending on your beer style, you most likely under pitched. By at least half. No sense in being frugal when it comes to yeast. You wouldn't use half the malt or water or hops for a recipe, would you? Guess what? Yeast is at least 65% the flavor of the beer! Pitch the correct amount everytime. Use   This pitching calc as a guide

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 06:49:58 pm by majorvices »

Offline landsrud

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 06:57:06 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. klickitat, I pitched the rest. so, do you just scoop some of it when you're bottling or switching to secondary? do you keep it in the fridge and feed like sourdough starter? I need to do more research.

mtnrock, making a yeast starter is my next project.

thanks for the link major, I saw folks talking about mr. malty but wasn't quite sure what it was
-----------------------------------
in the primary:

in the secondary:

conditioning:
Westvleteren quadrupel clone (2.5 gal)
http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=1241

in bottles:
Imperial Stout

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 07:17:16 pm »
There are a few good YouTube videos on washing yeast.

For me it depends on how soon I'm going to use it. If right away I just gather about 200-300ml and pitch. Or I wash and store a week or two then use 100-200ml for a starter

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 08:34:03 pm »

I've got yeast I've been re-using for over a year.  Treat it well, be sanitary, build it up in a starter and it will last much longer than a week.

Drinking a tripel brewed with yeast that was first pitched about a year and a half ago or so.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 08:25:51 am »
I've got yeast I've been re-using for over a year.  Treat it well, be sanitary, build it up in a starter and it will last much longer than a week.

Drinking a tripel brewed with yeast that was first pitched about a year and a half ago or so.

Joe Sr. How many generation is it? I had read somewhere when I first started yeast washing that more then 7 generations old could give you a different yeast aspect. Have you ever found that your strain has changed over time?
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 09:46:08 am »
Joe Sr. How many generation is it? I had read somewhere when I first started yeast washing that more then 7 generations old could give you a different yeast aspect. Have you ever found that your strain has changed over time?

You can't really set a number of reuses.  You need to pay attention to what the yeast looks and smells like and how it performed the last time you used it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 09:48:35 am »

A local brewpub used Ringwood for 300 or so pitches. That still made beer that tasted like it was made with Ringwood.

I know other strains are said to drift quickly.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 09:49:40 am »
A local brewpub used Ringwood for 300 or so pitches. That still made beer that tasted like it was made with Ringwood.

Yeah, but when you start with Ringwood, how would you know if it went bad?  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 09:51:15 am »
A local Brewery here never goes beyond 9 generations. They showed us why with a 15bbl fermenter of their scotch (fermented with WY1968 10th Gen) that was at 1.013 and dropping. They were planning on dumping it because it dropped below their accepted FG of 1.016.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 12:07:15 pm »

Yeah, but when you start with Ringwood, how would you know if it went bad?  ;)

When it still tastes like Ringwood. They have switched to WLP-022 Essex, and the beers have improved.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Re: using half of a white labs vial
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 12:17:53 pm »

Was it from a half used slant that sat in the fridge a year and a half then just pitch as is?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 01:15:57 pm »

You can't really set a number of reuses.  You need to pay attention to what the yeast looks and smells like and how it performed the last time you used it.

Denny is right on.  It doesn't floc as well as I remember from the first batch, but my recollection could be off.  The beer still tastes great and has the same flavor profile.  I'll put gelatin in the keg if necessary.  I've got to be past six generations, but I haven't been keeping close track.

This one in particular is Ardennes.  My tripel (Golden Monkey Homage, thanks Denny) went from 1.092 to 1.012 so the yeast is performing as I expect and as it has in past generations.

I thought about dumping it and starting with a new smack pack due to the flocculation, but I had an empty Rubbermaid thing and space in the fridge, so I've got it to use again.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton