Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WL Brett C. Starter questions  (Read 7133 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: WL Brett C. Starter questions
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 11:07:58 am »
Chad Yakobson's interview with the Brewing Network is absolute GOLD - if you have an interest in brewing 100% brett beers, start with this reference.

I'll have to check out Chad's interview...thanks for the tip.

On a different note...Do you use a microscope and hemocytometer to estimate cell counts?

No - I would like to invest in the equipment for cell counting. Its the only way I'll ever be able to pitch correct amounts of non-commercial brett strains for 100% brett primary. With mixed brett cultures, bottle dregs, wild yeast samples, etc, I have no idea how many cells are in the initial slurry.

It would also be cool to separate individual strains from a mixed culture.

I'm less concerned about cell counts when I pitch a mixed culture in primary. I usually pitch a good amount of slurry and call it good.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 11:16:41 am »
Update:
I shut down the stirplate on Wed and I pulled a gravity sample last night. Not having an O.G.,  I don't think it had  fermented much if at all. I just happened to check the White Labs website and I guess I missed it before but they list optimum temp at 85+? Much higher than anything I've read about Brett C but I threw the stirplate in the heated fermentation chamber set to 85F and wouldn't you know it, the starter had a little krausen this morning?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 06:47:50 pm »
So how many step ups do you do to get to the final level of pitch rate and if not using a stir plate, how long at each stage?  I hope this is a reasonable request - I have no experience with Brett solo, but I look forward to the beers with it.  Eventually I am sure that I will have fermentation questions.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 09:00:09 pm »
So how many step ups do you do to get to the final level of pitch rate and if not using a stir plate, how long at each stage?  I hope this is a reasonable request - I have no experience with Brett solo, but I look forward to the beers with it.  Eventually I am sure that I will have fermentation questions.

As many as it takes for as long as it takes. Ultimately it is not very different from stepping up a smaller sample of sacc. Sometimes it just takes longer to get started and get through fermentation.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 09:08:34 pm »
So, I am leaving at the end of next week for a week.  Should I go with a 2 liter starter and leave it at 68F for a week and then chil, decant and bring another 2 liter to full krausen, then chill, decant again and do it one more time?   I always thought that the sours were best under pitched a little.....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"