Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wilting Hops  (Read 15872 times)

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
Wilting Hops
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:57:00 am »
I've noticed that the leaves on my hop plants are starting to wilt and I was hoping someone could give me advice. They were planted about two months ago, in mid-late April. Each pot has about 2 cubic feet of miracle gro potting soil. I live in Northern Virginia, the temp hasn't gotten above the low 90s, they're in the sun early in the day until about 1pm. It's been raining a bit lately, so I haven't needed to water them. I've noticed a bug or two on them, little fly looking things, but not all the time and never a huge amount. Pics are below:

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Wilting Hops
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 12:05:21 pm »
Hops can be very thirsty, I just came in from watering mine. Those might be stressed.

Good information on these links.
http://www.freshops.com/hop-growing/hop-gardening

Look in the newsletter archive.
http://www.gorstvalleyhops.com/

There are other good pages you can find searching the net.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:50:56 pm »
you might also have some deficiencies going on. the pale green between the veins is, IIRC sign of a nitrogen deficiency. Try some fish emulsion used in the next watering and also as a spray on the leaves.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 01:17:22 pm »
This might help. Definately looks like a nutrient deficiency.
http://customers.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/hops.htm
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 01:40:11 pm »
Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll try some nitrogen!

Offline piszkiewiczp

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:41:23 pm »
I'd agree with the nutrient deficiency, except that you said you used miracle gro potting soil. That usually has fertilizer added into the mix.

It looks like you may have planted in a plastic bucket. Do you have enough drainage holes in the bottom so that the roots aren't sitting in water? Most roots need air and won't do well if constantly submerged.

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 01:54:44 pm »
I'd agree with the nutrient deficiency, except that you said you used miracle gro potting soil. That usually has fertilizer added into the mix.

It looks like you may have planted in a plastic bucket. Do you have enough drainage holes in the bottom so that the roots aren't sitting in water? Most roots need air and won't do well if constantly submerged.

There are drainage holes in the bottom, but it seems that the "plate" (ignorance of a better term) that the pot is sitting on normally has water on it. Maybe I should drill a few more holes? We've had a few days of absolute down pouring here.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 01:56:29 pm »

this would be my second guess... given your response, maybe my first now. take it off the plate and let it drain. Hops like lots of water but they don't like having wet feet.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 02:22:57 pm »
Hops need a lot of water, but it is said that they like dry "feet".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 03:29:52 pm »
Too much water was my first thought.  You may have more than one issue going on though too. 

As Mort said, get rid of the drain plate and I would start giving the plant some regular light doses of nitrogen.  Probably half the recommended dose on the box about half as often as the manufacturer recommends.  That way if the plant gets better but not dramatically, you have room to increase the fertilizer.  Once you burn off a plant with nitrogen you really have no place go back to.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 06:44:32 pm »
I took the drain plate off, drilled a few more holes along the base of the pot and...wow, there was a lot of water in there. I'll let them drain and then hit them with a little nitrogen. Being incredibly new at attempting to grow living things, I thought the drain plate helped it drain more. Whoops.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 10:00:25 am »
IIRC it's not recommended to plant hops in a pot.  That the roots grow as long as the vines.  Is there a place you can transplant them in the ground?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 10:27:18 am »
IIRC it's not recommended to plant hops in a pot.  That the roots grow as long as the vines.  Is there a place you can transplant them in the ground?

Dave

this may be something of an exaggeration. Hops do have extensive root systems but I don't think they grow 20 feet+ deep. very very few plants have root systems that deep.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Wilting Hops
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 11:09:20 am »
As you discovered hops will not tolerate being constantly saturated:)

Elevate the pot and do not use the dish on the bottom any more. It looks like the pots are large enough but the ground and all day sun are preferable.

Allow the plants to come rely dry out before doing any fertilizing or additional watering. The roots need to breath a bit for air exchange.

If there is no gravel at the bottom of the pot inside that should be something to consider in the future if you continue to use pots. At least 2-4" of pea gravel to facilitate good drainage. This is actually a good practice for any potted plants.

The first few fertilizings should be done at half rate until the plants begin to show a healthier color and new growth shoots and they should recover nicely although they may look worse before they begin looking better.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 11:23:42 am »
I took the drain plate off, drilled a few more holes along the base of the pot and...wow, there was a lot of water in there. I'll let them drain and then hit them with a little nitrogen. Being incredibly new at attempting to grow living things, I thought the drain plate helped it drain more. Whoops.

I'd let the plant recover a bit before feeding it.  Once it has a chance to breathe again, it may take a week or two before it begins to look somewhat normal and resumes active growth. 

And as was suggested earlier, you'll never experience the enjoyment of what these plants can do if you keep them confined to a container.  Sure they'll grow and look awesome in big pots, but had they been in the ground they'd look awesome x 2.  The roots can become massive especially if they're growing in an region with deep, well drained soils.  A few years ago I had to excavate a crown that was 10 or so years old.  At about 3.5 feet down, one of the biggest roots was about as thick around as my wrist and growing through some very heavy clay hardpan(ish) soil.  The majority didn't bother to grow through it and decided to take the path of least resistance and grow horizontally. 

If you can't grow in the ground just realize they'll most likely never hit their potential.  Hop On!

Oops, sorry duboman, must have hit the button right after you did.  Great minds think alike, ha!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:26:45 am by b-hoppy »