Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wilting Hops  (Read 15946 times)

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
Re: Wilting Hops
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 11:31:57 am »
Yeah, I knew about the roots not liking to stay wet but I naively thought the pot was draining well.

Unfortunately, I can't put them in the ground right now nor do I have a spot where they can get sun all day. I realize this will limit their yield, but it's either this or not grow them at all.

Thanks for tall the advice, looks like I found out where I went wrong.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 08:21:28 pm »
I had a similar problem last year. The Miracle Grow potting soil only lasted about 2 months. After that I started adding Miracle Grow every 3 weeks or so. This year I have bought some of the timed released miracle grow so hopefully I won't have to deal with it as often.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 08:26:14 am »
Boys, your advice was spot on. I allowed the pots to drain, things got worse before they got better, and once they started improving I added a little fertilizer. Thanks again for the help.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 08:37:42 am »
Looks good.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 05:11:20 pm »
Well done!
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline rustabust

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 07:04:23 am »
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to report that the exact same thing happened to me. My plant is in its second year in the same pot, growing on my balcony in DC. It had been rainey and damp through April and May and even though my balcony is covered, the soil remained damp all of the time so I hesitated to even water it, like ever. Oh yea, and the leaves were withering big time.

I managed to lean the pot on its side and drill a bunch of new holes and out came all the water. I had checked the bottom of the pot before and it looked like there were enough holes but I guess not. Maybe the original holes became clogged as this pot/soil sat on the balcony all winter.

Anyway glad I found this post with all the good advice. I'm hoping to be able to transplant this root into the ground next off season.

Cheers

Offline txbrewingbm

• 1st Kit
    • Texas Brewing Inc
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 12:28:41 am »
There's lot of new things to learn from all of you.