Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Green beer - pellets?  (Read 3188 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Green beer - pellets?
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:02:53 am »
I've noticed recently, since I switched to all pellet hopping, that my ales tend to be have an off "young/green beer" type aroma for about a week or two in the keg before they condition into shape, so to speak.  This is vastly different from when I used solely whole hops - it always seemed beers were ready to drink right as soon as they were in the keg.  In both cases, I have always primaried an ale for 3 weeks prior to hitting the keg. 

Anyone else seem to notice this?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Green beer - pellets?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:19:08 am »
All of my hoppy beers seem to need at least a week in the keg before they meld together. I don't think I've ever noticed any difference between pellets and whole hops.
Dan Chisholm

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 10:34:16 am »
I have noticed this lately. I have been using a lot of new Zealand hops and European hops and those I always buy pellets of. I notice a lot more hop material in the fermenter and the yeasty pints at the beginning of the keg tend to be more harsh and hoppy.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:03:53 am »
My hoppy beers normally need a week or two in the keg before the harsh, green aroma/flavor subsides.

Are you getting hop matter from the kettle into the fermentor? Pellet sludge is much more difficult to keep out than whole flowers, and with 3 weeks in primary, it would definitely give off some less-than-desirable qualities.

I've never used all whole-flower, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

narvin

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:21:52 am »
Cold crashing before kegging may help.  It's possible that you have more particulate matter from the pellets that's getting into the keg and takes time to settle out.

Offline blatz

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:22:07 am »
Are you getting hop matter from the kettle into the fermentor? Pellet sludge is much more difficult to keep out than whole flowers, and with 3 weeks in primary, it would definitely give off some less-than-desirable qualities.

very little, if any - I use a hop spider or blichmann hop blocker (still deciding on which i like better - last weekend i used both) and keep a huge amount of the vegetative muck behind.

I generally do a trub dump at high krausen as well and while there is some green matter, it is not excessive, IMO.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline blatz

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 11:22:55 am »
Cold crashing before kegging may help.  It's possible that you have more particulate matter from the pellets that's getting into the keg and takes time to settle out.

that's a good idea - i try to do so when i think of it ahead of time - on this last one, an amber ale, I did not. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 12:00:25 pm »
I've had issues with this is a few beers. They have had a couple of things in common. They have all had a crapload of dry hops (> 1 oz/gallon) and had 3 days or less of contact time with the last dry hop addition prior to bottling. They all did use pellets (although some had both pellets and whole cone hops). I'm not sure what the major factor was in giving the grassy/muddy/green flavors, but some cold conditioning time in the bottle did clear out those off flavors after some time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 12:27:12 pm »
I've had issues with this is a few beers. They have had a couple of things in common. They have all had a crapload of dry hops (> 1 oz/gallon) and had 3 days or less of contact time with the last dry hop addition prior to bottling. They all did use pellets (although some had both pellets and whole cone hops). I'm not sure what the major factor was in giving the grassy/muddy/green flavors, but some cold conditioning time in the bottle did clear out those off flavors after some time.
+1.  I not only use fine mesh paint strainer bags to dry hop, I also use one wrapped around the end of my racking cane (with a rubber band) as a second "filter".  I think it helps remove just a little more of the hop particulate, which I feel is the main offender. +1 to cold crashing as well.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 12:33:19 pm »
So, Paul, you're just noticing it now only after switching to all pellets or since switching to your new badass system? Seems odd that pellets would cause such a noticeable difference. But, having never brewed with whole hops or leaf hops, I guess I don't have any authority on the subject.
I have noticed a difference in using a hop sack in the boil versus just tossing them in and letting them roam free. Hop sack gives less of the flavor and aroma characteristics, in my experience. But perhaps it's because I was doing that in conjunction with fermenting in cornies, which I've read that the geometry of them changes the final flavor, somehow.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:34:58 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 01:26:11 pm »
+1.  I not only use fine mesh paint strainer bags to dry hop, I also use one wrapped around the end of my racking cane (with a rubber band) as a second "filter".  I think it helps remove just a little more of the hop particulate, which I feel is the main offender. +1 to cold crashing as well.

I line my bottling bucket with a paint strainer bag when I rack, but either the hop load or not allowing enough contact time for more of the hops to drop clear in certain batches have let more matter through to my bottled beer. The strainer catches a lot, but it wasn't enough in those batches.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 01:59:45 pm »

very little, if any - I use a hop spider or blichmann hop blocker (still deciding on which i like better - last weekend i used both) and keep a huge amount of the vegetative muck behind.

I generally do a trub dump at high krausen as well and while there is some green matter, it is not excessive, IMO.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Were these beers dry-hopped?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline blatz

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 04:35:56 pm »
So, Paul, you're just noticing it now only after switching to all pellets or since switching to your new badass system? Seems odd that pellets would cause such a noticeable difference. But, having never brewed with whole hops or leaf hops, I guess I don't have any authority on the subject.
I have noticed a difference in using a hop sack in the boil versus just tossing them in and letting them roam free. Hop sack gives less of the flavor and aroma characteristics, in my experience. But perhaps it's because I was doing that in conjunction with fermenting in cornies, which I've read that the geometry of them changes the final flavor, somehow.

You have a valid point - it could be other factors - but I don't notice it at all in non hoppy beers.

It could also be due to whirlpool/hop standing.  I am not sure at the current moment - trying to deduce the culprit and this was first in mind.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 04:47:46 pm »
I have noticed this lately. I have been using a lot of new Zealand hops and European hops and those I always buy pellets of. I notice a lot more hop material in the fermenter and the yeasty pints at the beginning of the keg tend to be more harsh and hoppy.
Check your boiling wort pH before adding hops.
You might be drifting up and it is not the hops at all that gives you harsher hop taste.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com