Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water filter at new house  (Read 3693 times)

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Water filter at new house
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:22:58 pm »
Hi gang,
I am moving into our new house next week, and of course, I'm stressing about how to brew in the new house!
One of the most easy improvements I ever made to my beer was adding a simple carbon filter on to my faucet to eliminate chlorine.  At the new house, I have a fancy faucet on the kitchen sink, and won't be able to attach my filter to it.  SO, I just wanted to see what other people do for filters (I just want to use a carbon filter, no need for an RO filter with my water).  I figure that I could just strap the filter on to the Garden Hose... would my water taste Garden-Hosey?
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline rottyndawg

• 1st Kit
Re: Water filter at new house
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:50:49 pm »
I can't honestly answer the question as I don't use a garden hose, but I do know that fellow brewers in my area use "drinking water hose" which is white and I believe what people use for their RV.  I have to get one myself as I just moved and the house outlet for my immersion chiller is now far away :)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:42:13 pm »
I use a white RV hose connected to my brew stand, which has one of these filters on it with a carbon cartridge.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_55113-59019-WHKF-DUF_0__?productId=1188335&Ntt=water+filter
You can also remove chlorine by adding a campden tablet to your water and letting it sit a while.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 12:43:16 am »
I have tasted beers where the brewer made the mistake of using a garden hose (one time I was the brewer, which is how I recognized it next time) - don't do it.  The white RV hoses are fine.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 01:57:30 am »
Many sinks have a circular knockout that covers a hole where a spray hose can be installed.  Instead of a spray hose I install a gooseneck water faucet that is fed from a undercounter carbon filter.  All available from Home Depot.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 05:20:21 am »
Do not use a garden hose for any consumable product.  All of them I see now days are "labeled not for drinking water".  I'm not a materials scientist so what I'm about to say isn't necessarily gospel on this subject but my understanding is lead is used in the plastic formulation to make garden hoses flexible.  Only use hoses designed for potable water in anything you plan to drink.

Other than that, congrats on the new house!!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline wactuary

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 05:40:01 am »
We redid our kitchen and I ran into the same problem.  I insisted the vent over the stove be high enough to fit my pots, but when I went to be I realized I couldn't attach my hose adapter for the wort chiller.

First, I highly recommend the permanent second faucet for the undersink mounted carbon filter. The whole family will appreciate that and we use it constantly. This was a design feature I built into the new kitchen from the get go.

Second, for the IC, I inserted a T,  a ball valve and a hose thread adapter with quick disconnect under my sink. When it's time to cool, I open the cabinet, attach my hose and I'm in business.

Mostly I used this as an excuse to get out of the kitchen and into 10 gallon all grain batches outside. Now I only make a rare 5 gallon batch in the kitchen, usually in the dead of winter.

Good luck with the new house!

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 06:21:03 am »
I have also tasted off-flavors from the use of a garden hose.  I have both white and blue RV hoses.  I think the water tastes better out of the blue one  ;D
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 09:01:15 am »
I have also tasted off-flavors from the use of a garden hose.  I have both white and blue RV hoses.  I think the water tastes better out of the blue one  ;D

Maybe I'll try blue.  I've been using green for quite awhile.  LOL 

http://www.amazon.com/Colorite-Element-ELGG58050-Drinking-50-Foot/dp/B0042JWL66/ref=pd_sbs_auto_4

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 10:59:25 am »
"It's not easy being green."
- Kermit D. Frog

If you install a hose bib under the sink you will have a leak under the sink.  Have you ever seen a hose bib that didn't leak at one time on another?  (Loose connection, bad gasket, worn out hose...)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 11:16:08 pm »
Exactly the info I was looking for.  Thanks guys.  I don't think I will be able to make the final call untill I move in, to evaluate what I have.  The first part of homebrewing is "Home".  As much as I want to plan every detail, I have to see how the house wants to brew first  ;)
You guys will like this... I couldn't find a full ion analysis for my water online, so I e-mailed 2 local breweries, and 1 responded immediately, with a copy of his last water report!  I am half tempted to advertise the hell out of that guys brewery... but it's packed all of the time anyway, he doesn't need my help!
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection