Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A First for Me  (Read 2900 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
A First for Me
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:34:00 pm »
I forgot to crush and add the crystal for my Steam Beer.  I was wondering why the mash seemed so pale until I went to weigh my first hop addition and saw the bucket of grain sitting there waiting to be crushed.  After a quick panic and wondering what other beer I could make I remembered I had a large mesh bag.  So I stopped the boil at 182 and let it come down to 155 where I steeped the grains.  It was at 137 after 35 minutes so I figure I got a decent amount of conversion. 

Who knows?  It could be my best mistake yet!   ::) 

Thoughts on where this may end up?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: A First for Me
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:41:10 pm »
Fast thinking, man!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:52:06 pm »
Fast thinking, man!

Thanks!  The funny rest of the story is that the BIAB bag was given to me by my LHBS a couple of years ago.  Someone had taken it out of the package so he just tossed it in along with my order.  I almost threw it away several times thinking, "I'm never going to use this thing".  Now I'm glad I'm a beer equipment hoarder!   ;D

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:15:53 pm »
I have actually added steeped and boiled wort after the fact to get two different beers out of a ten gallon batch, so you may not have had to have gone through that exercise to get the end you desired,  Your hop utilization would be a little different, but I think your results would have been as good.  See ya next week!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 01:31:54 pm »
See ya next week!

Yea Red.  Looking forward to it!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 04:12:19 pm »
So the trials were far from over on this one.  The extra 1.5# of crystal soaked up about 1/4G and I had about a 1G boil-over as I was trying to do chores at the same time!  I ended up with 3.9G at 1.052.  Decision time.  Make it a session Steam Beer at 4% or keg it at 4G or somewhere in the middle. 

Then it hit me again.  DME!  18oz in 1.25G of water got me a little over 5G at 1.049.  Problem solved. 8)

I feel worthy to attend the NHC next week......

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 07:44:02 pm »
Sounds like you were brewin' with the NHC on your mind!  Good recovery - I have tweaked an all grain that way with no problems when a mash got away from me while distracted and/or sparge volume snuck up there and I didn't want to boil it down.  Not often, but a couple times when I first started using a lid partly on when boiling in cold weather, for example.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 12:33:05 pm »
Should turn out ok.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing