Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zymurgy Top-Ranked Beers  (Read 20362 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Zymurgy Top-Ranked Beers
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2013, 09:59:55 am »
Totally with you on the situational thing. My favorite tunes for an open stretch of highway is totally different than when I'm at work. In the winter I love me some Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. In the spring give me a Saranac Pils. For a special occasion I crack into my barleywine stash that's been aging in the cellar.

FWIW, I tried to be a bit more objective about my list. Even though I only drink a couple of sours a month, Red Poppy and La Folie made my top 5 because I think they are exceptionally well crafted beers. My situational favorites were typically near the bottom of my list. While they may be my personal preferences, there are other beers out there that have more "you have to try this" factor.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2013, 10:14:30 am »
Or Talking Heads if it's 95 and humid. :) +!

I agree that influential is probably a more apt description of this ranking.  This is my least favorite issue of the year.  It does nothing but tell me what a bunch of random homebrewers voted for....sort of dancing with the stars for beer....that is, not even a worthwhile use of my time set aside for vegging in front of a TV.  I got the mag yesterday in the mail, and it took me only a few minutes to read and file.

It is nice that these breweries have that sort of following that their patrons are willing to stuff a ballot box for.  I am pretty sure that no one in Germany is crying in their well crafted lagers.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2013, 10:47:05 am »
I get asked quite often..."So...what's your favorite beer?"

My response is that it depends on several things. My mood, the weather, what I'm doing, how I'm feeling, etc, etc...

As others have said, it's a situational type thing. I like every beer on that list, and prefer some over others, depending on the situation, and those preferences can/will change as the situation changes.

Mowing the lawn = A good Helles or Cream Ale

Warming up next to a fire in the dead of winter = RIS or a vintage Barleywine

and so on...and so on...

The short answer: "It depends" :)
Ron Price

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2013, 10:56:27 am »
Mah fravrit is the kind with bubbles.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Re: Zymurgy Top-Ranked Beers
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2013, 03:18:47 pm »
As others have said, it's a situational type thing.

9am on punkin chunkin build days: Busch

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline breslinp

• Cellarman
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2013, 06:23:36 pm »
I was one who voted Pliny the Elder #1 (live near Philly - on tap a bunch).  :-[

Sorry my vote is so controversial  ;D

In my defense, I also had Younger this year and voted Elder over it. I also voted before I had Tired Hands St.Oner. [NHC goers. Take the train (Paoli/Thorndale) to Ardmore to Tired Hands if you get the chance.]

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2013, 10:31:07 pm »
I was one who voted Pliny the Elder #1 (live near Philly - on tap a bunch).  :-[

Sorry my vote is so controversial  ;D

In my defense, I also had Younger this year and voted Elder over it. I also voted before I had Tired Hands St.Oner. [NHC goers. Take the train (Paoli/Thorndale) to Ardmore to Tired Hands if you get the chance.]

I don't think your vote is controversial.......You've tasted it....and apparently, many a times.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:42:36 pm by fmader »
Frank

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2013, 10:33:38 pm »
I'm so cool, I was into hop bombs in like, 2008. That s*** is so lame nowadays. . .
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2013, 10:52:05 pm »
Sarcasm, what an invention

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2013, 05:40:03 am »
By the way, my issue just arrived. Again what a cool zine!

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2013, 07:15:58 am »
Also ,it has a myth around it much like Westy 12, because it is so hard to get that the myth only grows bigger.

The graybeards around here may recall back in the halcyon days of the 1970s that it was very hard to get Coors anywhere but Colorado and westwards.  A huge mystique built up around it and everybody east of the Mississippi had to get their hands on some.  People would go out of their way to bring cases of it back East.  I'm sure if they had done that survey back then, Coors definitely would have been on top of the list (though, back then you'd have to had made the list the "Top 10 Beers in the Country" or something like that).

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Zymurgy Top-Ranked Beers
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2013, 07:32:40 am »
Have to admit, I love Pliny, think 2 Hearted is "OK" and find DFH 90 minute pretty much undrinkable. Obviously Pliny gets the vote because of the legend and 2 Hearted because of its ubiquitousness and 90 minute because apparently a lot of people don't really know what a good IPA is supposed to taste like ... :P

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2013, 07:40:43 am »
I remember the days when Coors had that mystique before they opened up distribution.  So I guess the graybeard line is pretty fitting !

Also +1 to DFH90 being undrinkable (along with several of their other beers IMO). Very cloying.
Jon H.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2013, 07:44:39 am »
The graybeards around here may recall back in the halcyon days of the 1970s that it was very hard to get Coors anywhere but Colorado and westwards.  A huge mystique built up around it and everybody east of the Mississippi had to get their hands on some.  People would go out of their way to bring cases of it back East.  I'm sure if they had done that survey back then, Coors definitely would have been on top of the list (though, back then you'd have to had made the list the "Top 10 Beers in the Country" or something like that).

I bet some even hired a truck driver to bring a load back and he had a guy driving a Trans Am running interference with the cops.  ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2013, 07:53:55 am »
I bet some even hired a truck driver to bring a load back and he had a guy driving a Trans Am running interference with the cops.  ;D

:D

I feel like an idiot for forgetting that reference, but that was pretty much why they were running Coors in the movie ("And as the pursuer, may I say you’re the goddamnedest pursuee I ever pursued.")
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:04:11 am by hubie »