Author Topic: Zymurgy Top-Ranked Beers  (Read 10929 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Zymurgy Top-Ranked Beers
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2013, 07:19:21 AM »
The graybeards around here may recall back in the halcyon days of the 1970s that it was very hard to get Coors anywhere but Colorado and westwards.  A huge mystique built up around it and everybody east of the Mississippi had to get their hands on some.  People would go out of their way to bring cases of it back East. 

In terms of American Light Lagers, Yuengling is the new Coors (reversing the east & west coast, obviously). I still don't get it.
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister; BJCP Master
Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline jeffy

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2013, 08:00:22 AM »
Also ,it has a myth around it much like Westy 12, because it is so hard to get that the myth only grows bigger.

The graybeards around here may recall back in the halcyon days of the 1970s that it was very hard to get Coors anywhere but Colorado and westwards.  A huge mystique built up around it and everybody east of the Mississippi had to get their hands on some.  People would go out of their way to bring cases of it back East.  I'm sure if they had done that survey back then, Coors definitely would have been on top of the list (though, back then you'd have to had made the list the "Top 10 Beers in the Country" or something like that).
I was one of those guys, bringing back two cases of Banquet Beer in the trunk of my 912 in 1973.  Could have sold a few sixes on the way back in Oklahoma.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2013, 08:09:25 AM »
The graybeards around here may recall back in the halcyon days of the 1970s that it was very hard to get Coors anywhere but Colorado and westwards.  A huge mystique built up around it and everybody east of the Mississippi had to get their hands on some.  People would go out of their way to bring cases of it back East. 

In terms of American Light Lagers, Yuengling is the new Coors (reversing the east & west coast, obviously). I still don't get it.

My hair is not grey and I can't grow a decent beer, but back in the '80s we drank a lot of Coors in high school.  Extra Gold.  I haven't seen it since.

I have to say I was excited to try Yeungling when I was out in Philly a few years back and once I  had it I was disappointed.  Just didn't seem that special.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2013, 08:13:53 AM »

Thank you! I thought I was the only one. Even up in New England I hear people talk about Yuengling like it's some great thing. Some of the same people call PBR swill in the same breath. I just don't get it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

cornershot

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2013, 08:23:49 AM »

My hair is not grey and I can't grow a decent beer, but back in the '80s we drank a lot of Coors in high school.  Extra Gold.  I haven't seen it since.

I have to say I was excited to try Yeungling when I was out in Philly a few years back and once I  had it I was disappointed.  Just didn't seem that special.

Yeungling lager is great when fresh at the brewery tasting room but it's otherwise inconsistent and not very good IMO. I cut my craft beer teeth on yeungling porter 20 years ago and it was great but they changed the recipe soon after to the less interesting beer it is today. If you're in Pa for the conference and want to sample Pa's finest, go for Weyerbacher, Troeg's, Bullfrog, Yard's, Victory.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:47:16 AM by zimaclone »

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

My fiance's friends all talk about how "so-and-so is going to bring me back Yeungling!!!". I get really confused. But hey, more good beer for me, right?  8)
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister; BJCP Master
Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2013, 08:40:39 AM »
Also ,it has a myth around it much like Westy 12, because it is so hard to get that the myth only grows bigger.

The graybeards around here may recall back in the halcyon days of the 1970s that it was very hard to get Coors anywhere but Colorado and westwards.  A huge mystique built up around it and everybody east of the Mississippi had to get their hands on some.  People would go out of their way to bring cases of it back East.  I'm sure if they had done that survey back then, Coors definitely would have been on top of the list (though, back then you'd have to had made the list the "Top 10 Beers in the Country" or something like that).
I was one of those guys, bringing back two cases of Banquet Beer in the trunk of my 912 in 1973.  Could have sold a few sixes on the way back in Oklahoma.

Some college buddies moved to CO after graduation. They said they were always asked to bring Strohs back to CO when they were home to see family.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2013, 08:45:58 AM »

I took a U Haul trailer from IA to CO a couple times to fill it up with Coors.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2013, 08:50:15 AM »
Have to admit, I love Pliny, think 2 Hearted is "OK" and find DFH 90 minute pretty much undrinkable. Obviously Pliny gets the vote because of the legend and 2 Hearted because of its ubiquitousness and 90 minute because apparently a lot of people don't really know what a good IPA is supposed to taste like ... :P

+1  I was convinced Bell's thought ipa meant imperial pale ale. I love the west coast bias too when 3 of top 4 are from east. I use peoples opinions of what is good simply to decide if I will try anything they recommend or try the opposite. This list is 90% opposite for me.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2013, 09:32:18 AM »

Thank you! I thought I was the only one. Even up in New England I hear people talk about Yuengling like it's some great thing. Some of the same people call PBR swill in the same breath. I just don't get it.

Growing up in West Virginia, Yuengling had that mystique, because it wasn't distributed to the state.... Note: I lived 3 minutes from Pennsylvania. Ohio got Yuengling a couple years ago. When will be the day that they ban that garbage. Everybody thinks its God's gift to beer. I'm tired of asking restaurants if they have any good beer on tap and getting Yuengling as the answer... I usually just get an ice tea at that time lol.
Frank

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »
In all fairness, I don't think Yeungling is bad.  I was just expecting... something... more.  It was a let down.  I should probably also say that Pliny was a let down, too.  It was good, my friends thought it was great, but after all the hype I was expecting... more.  Like angels singing and colors being more vibrant and all that.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »
In all fairness, I don't think Yeungling is bad.  I was just expecting... something... more.  It was a let down.  I should probably also say that Pliny was a let down, too.  It was good, my friends thought it was great, but after all the hype I was expecting... more.  Like angels singing and colors being more vibrant and all that.
I was blown away by Pliny when I had it fresh, but after later having Alpine, Green Flash, Bear Republic and Ballast Point fresh I realized that the difference in quality was very little to none in a couple cases IMO. All very good beers.
Jon H.

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2013, 10:35:47 AM »
My homebrew study group and I did a blind IPA tasting last night.  Perfect timing with the top ranked beers just being published.  We had 16 IPAs and a few DIPAs (pliny included) and it was amazing what some blind tasting will do.  While I wasn't surprised to see Pliny and Two Hearted ranked towards the top, I, along with everyone else was floored that Shmaltz and No-Li were top picks.  I think for me it reaffirmed that name has a lot to do with the vote and overall reputation (hard to get, hype, etc.). 

#1 Shmaltz Brewing Hop Manna He'Brew IPA was #1 out of 16.

#2 No-Li Brewing: Born and Raised IPA

#3 Russian River: Pliny the Elder

#4 Bells: Two Hearted Ale
Hermen D.
Liquid Poets Society - Homebrew Club

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2013, 10:45:36 AM »
Few beers cause me to do backflips anymore, especially commercial brews that are fine examples of their style, but simply exceed my expectations by a little.  My best recent beer that was "backflip-worthy" was a bourbon barrel porter that my neighbor made and aged in an actual Balcones 5 gallon bourbon barrel and added a little bourbon to it at kegging.  Really something special.  Having said that, I  recall that I liked the Yuenglings lager I tried once.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2013, 10:47:50 AM »
In terms of American Light Lagers, Yuengling is the new Coors (reversing the east & west coast, obviously).

That's funny because I often drive cases of Yuengling up to New England and return with cases of Narraganset.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958