Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Amarillo  (Read 7178 times)

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: Amarillo
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 06:45:43 am »
I usually get straight up peaches from the bag. I get peaches and grapefruit from my all Amarillo IPA, 85 ibus, with a kind of stinging grapefruit right at the end. What were your bittering hops, I can think of a couple described as dank?

I'm not bittering with Amarillo.  IIRC I used Warrior to bitter in all of the beers I'm referring to.  It's a pretty clean bittering hop, so it shouldn't be coming from that.  I used various combos of hops.  One recipe was warrior, amarillo, and cascade.  One was warrior, simcoe, citra, and amarillo.  I would point the finger at simcoe, but it wasn't used in the first one.  Plus I made a citra/simcoe IPA that turned out great.  Nice citrusy flavor and aroma.

How clean are your lines? I pick the same flavor you mention in my IPA when my lines need cleaned and for some reason my IPA lines need cleaned more than my other beer lines. I just cleaned them a month ago and had to clean them again two or three days ago on the IPA tap. It's too the point that if I leave my IPA untapped for a couple of days the first pint is foul and goes down the drain.

I clean the hell out of them with BLC (this time I used Liquid Line Cleaner), do a potable water rinse, then a Star San rinse.  I usually pull off a pint or two before I drink the first one from a keg.  I'll usually replace the lines after 4 or so uses.  Maybe I'll replace the line and see what I get.  The funny thing is, though, that I was getting the same flavor from the picnic tap, which was also clean.  IDK, I'll try it again.
Trey W.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 07:13:09 am »
The first time I ever had Founder's Red's Rye IPA I got a huge body odor sort of aroma, it was bizarre. The beer was tasty, but just so dank it reminded me of BO. I think that beer uses Amarillo.
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Amarillo
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 07:15:37 am »
Well, I had another local homebrewer say something about not liking to dry hop with Amarillo lately so there may be some truth to it and not just coincidence. I use Amarillo in my IPA and I dry hop but it is part of a blend with Centennial, CTZ and Simcoe. The times in the past that I have done single hops Amarillo ales have been great but maybe there is something to this years crop or a mutation like mentioned above.,

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 07:20:06 am »
Nose Plug IPA ?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 08:19:21 am »
One sign of oxidation in hops is an old gym sock aroma, before they get cheesy.

I brewed a beer with Glacier that had a strong gym sock aroma. Threw the rest of those hop out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 08:22:29 am »
One sign of oxidation in hops is an old gym sock aroma, before they get cheesy.

I brewed a beer with Glacier that had a strong gym sock aroma. Threw the rest of those hop out.

I don't get it in the aroma.  Just in the taste.  Right at the end on the back of the tongue.
Trey W.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Amarillo
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 05:17:37 pm »
Tried it again today, off flavor gone. I was using a carb stone I just got and I'm wondering if it stirred up trub and I was tasting yeast/hops that had settled out. I removed the stone, as it was carbed now after two days on the gas. As a side note, the carb stone works great!! Grain to glass in 3 weeks!
Trey W.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Amarillo
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 05:23:33 pm »
Tried it again today, off flavor gone. I was using a carb stone I just got and I'm wondering if it stirred up trub and I was tasting yeast/hops that had settled out. I removed the stone, as it was carbed now after two days on the gas. As a side note, the carb stone works great!! Grain to glass in 3 weeks!
Trey W.