Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite Scoresheet Comment  (Read 11847 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Favorite Scoresheet Comment
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 09:54:42 am »

So if I made a New Glarus Belgian Red clone & enter it into a competition and it's listed as one of the commercial examples. What would you suggest I list as an underlying style? I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to find a Wisconsin Cherry Ale anywhere in the guidelines. I think that's a fairly valid point, does anyone agree?  ???   

I guess what I'm getting at is that there are beers we make that don't fit anywhere in the guidelines and there fore can't really be entered into a comp. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 10:10:25 am »

So if I made a New Glarus Belgian Red clone & enter it into a competition and it's listed as one of the commercial examples. What would you suggest I list as an underlying style? I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to find a Wisconsin Cherry Ale anywhere in the guidelines. I think that's a fairly valid point, does anyone agree?  ???   

I guess what I'm getting at is that there are beers we make that don't fit anywhere in the guidelines and there fore can't really be entered into a comp.

I understand what you're saying Denny, but when a beer is listed as a commercial example of a particular style then one would think you should be able to "clone it" and do reasonably well in a competition.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:13:30 am by Beertracker »
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 10:19:54 am »
My favorites are:

1:I would gladly drink more than one  :)

2: I get an alcohol warmth with every sip.

The beer won a gold medal by the way!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 10:25:39 am »
I understand what you're saying Denny, but when a beer is listed as a commercial example of a particular style then one would think you should be able to "clone it" and do reasonably well in a competition.

Can't disagree with that, Jeff.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 10:27:47 am »
My favorites are:

1:I would gladly drink more than one  :)

2: I get an alcohol warmth with every sip.

The beer won a gold medal by the way!

The scoresheet for NHC second round has these listed as checkboxes for overall impression...

I would finish this sample
I would drink a pint of this beer
I would pay money for this beer
Please send me the recipe!!!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 12:51:00 pm »
Yea Denny, I got "Please send me the recipe" on my second round Trad Bock last year which I was humbled by.
Ron Price

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 11:03:13 pm »
 On  the same scoresheet the judge said that my O-fest was "slightly astringent" and then later said it had "good mouthfeel." Still a little baffled by that one!

I also entered my Ruination clone into the IPA category just for kicks and it was ding-ed for not being hoppy enough for the style!! :o  Yeah, I guess nearly 4lbs of hops per barrel and 120ibus is a little underhopped for an IPA. LMAO! Now when I enter comps I don't expect to do well. What I'm looking for is entertainment from the scoresheets. Don't get me wrong, judging beer is  A LOT harder than most people think, but sometimes judges are either getting entries mixed up or they're just plain crazy!

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 09:18:54 am »
On  the same scoresheet the judge said that my O-fest was "slightly astringent" and then later said it had "good mouthfeel." Still a little baffled by that one!

That's one of my pet peeves when giving a BJCP CEP class or grading exams. I emphasize keeping comments consistent and structured because those can be very annoying & even frustrating as a brewer/entrant. I know that really bothers me when I receive scoresheets with contradicting comments/scores.  >:(

CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 09:21:11 am »
sometimes judges are either getting entries mixed up or they're just plain crazy!

Well, I know which it is for me....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 09:35:45 am »
I emphasize keeping comments consistent and structured because those can be very annoying & even frustrating as a brewer/entrant.

Whenever we're teaching one thing I try and drill into the students' heads - don't assume you know anything about the ingredients or process. Several people have already posted comments where the judges had something completely wrong. It turns the entrant off from listening to anything else you may say. Its unfortunate.

So the lesson from me is always: "couch your comments in 'did you' constructs or 'if you'", e.g. "if you used extract, try using paler extracts or shifting the addition towards the end of the boil" Then your AG entrant isn't going to automatically file your words in the "judge who doesn't know shinola" category.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2010, 12:43:25 am »
I posted earlier on in this thread, and would like to point out that constructive criticism is way more prevalent than Witty B.S.  I do think the BJCP does a great job.  I've never had a comment that wasn't constructive.  I've had judges' comments that were contradictory, but that's to be expected.  I will continue to "waste the beer and money" on entering comps.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 04:51:49 am »
I find most of the people who make the waste beer and money comments either got back sheets they felt substandard from a previous competition or cannot brew to style to save their butt... ;D
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 12:27:41 pm »
I find most of the people who make the waste beer and money comments either got back sheets they felt substandard from a previous competition or cannot brew to style to save their butt... ;D

How did you find that?
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2010, 07:22:24 pm »

How did you find that?

Lots and lots of "research." No gut feelings, just cold hard facts.  :)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2010, 07:36:53 pm »
Now I remember why I don't enter comps. 

+1000

+100k. I'm not into comps really...not opposed certainly, as long as one doesn't take it very seriously.  So I've only entered a few but  had great fun judging dozens of them (and managed to taste some very good beers in the process).

My favorite received comment  is one I have mentioned once or twice before in other threads, regarding my Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy;   I don't have the sheet in front of me (though I did save it somewhere) but in essence it said that I had entered it in the wrong category because it wasn't hoppy enough to be a Scotch Ale .   :o
...o----kay....
thank you.  next please....
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971