Author Topic: What's brewing today?  (Read 8390 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: What's brewing today?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
Today I brewed 11 gallons of all Citra Pale Ale - 1.054 OG, 30 IBU's calculated plus a 30 minute hop stand got me maybe around 40 IBUs.  Hydro sample was yummy.  I'll dry hop with Citra too.

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 06:44:24 PM »
I've tried Widmer's Citra blonde. Not bad, but a little on the catty side for me. Makes me wonder if it's a Citra thing or a widmer thing?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 11:33:18 PM »
Friday I did 10 gallons of weizen and 10 gallons of IPA, heavy on the mosaic.  Smelled great going in to the fermenter.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brewsumore

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 09:06:53 AM »
I've tried Widmer's Citra blonde. Not bad, but a little on the catty side for me. Makes me wonder if it's a Citra thing or a widmer thing?

Jim, there's a pretty strong consensus that it's the 60 minute, maybe even the 45 minute additions of citra that can give it a cat pee flavor.  I've made versions of this a couple previous times, avoiding a 60 minute addition, and never got any cattiness.  This 11-gal batch I went with 1.5 oz. FWH, .5 oz 10 minutes, 2.5 oz 5 minutes, and 2.5 oz at flameout, followed by the hop stand.

This approach has had me smackin' my lips waiting for a new batch when the last keg kicks.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:23:07 AM by brewsumore »

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 10:23:37 AM »
Thanks I may try as a late add sometime

Offline HobsonDrake

• Cellarman
  • I think, therefore I brew.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 10:56:39 AM »
Yesterday I planned on a Summer Cream Ale. The plan went a little astray when I took my fist reading in the boil. It was way high. Started scratching my head to figure out why only to discover the recipe was for 7.5 gal not 5 gal.
No worries, just ran the boil as planned then added back extra water to get to my SG of 1.052 and split the batch. 5 gal with WLP080 and 2.5 gal with WLP013 (only thing I had saved from earlier batch).   
>Under Construction- Brown Ale (4/5)
>In Bottles- Just Plain Pale Ale (12/12) - First Lager (12/28)
>On Tap - Guinness Clone (5/13) - Dry Hopped Red - Wascally Wabbit PA (11/19) - Barley wine (10/2009) - Nut Brown Ale(6/6)

Online hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »
Brewed a CAP with the Huacek's today, as part of their 4 brew Sunday. Can I say it was fun?

If you have been to NHC, you would recognize Joe and Andy.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »
Brewed a CAP with the Hudecek's today, as part of their 4 brew Sunday. Can I say it was fun?

Fixed that :)  I can't believe they did 40 gallons today, but it helps when you have 2 mash tuns and kettles.
Tom Schmidlin

Online hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 04:21:05 AM »
Brewed a CAP with the Hudecek's today, as part of their 4 brew Sunday. Can I say it was fun?

Fixed that :)  I can't believe they did 40 gallons today, but it helps when you have 2 mash tuns and kettles.
My bad.

Along with 2 mash tuns and kettles, a jumbo HLT so there is always hot water.

They had 100 gallons brewed for the Octoberfest party, now 140. They have a lot more to brew. When you coming?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:47:16 AM by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 04:35:50 AM »
I thought I had a busy weekend, until I saw some of your schedules - I made 10 gallons of pilsner on Saturday and racked out of primary to keg 25 gallons (2 ten gallon batches of pilsner and a dopplebock 5 gallon) then on Sunday I brewed 10 gallons of an amber lite lager, racked 10 gallons of Flanders Red to an oak barrel (5) and a glass carboy (5), racked 5 gallons of a dry cream ale to keg, adding malto dextrin (needed a little more body) and corn sugar (priming) in the keg, and thoroughly cleaned my system, while smoking two racks of ribs.  Harvested yeast from all primaries.  It rained, so I didn't get to the yard work....but the wife is out of town, so no worries there.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 05:31:53 AM »
First day of vacation. Was going to paint the house but it's raining. Lost my cream ale to a broken spigot so maybe I'll be brewing a cream ale today. Might bump up the ibu and call it a blonde

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »
I brewed a helles yesterday. 5.25lbs pilsner, 1.75lbs munich 10L, 4oz acid malt, spalter to about 18IBUs, and 34/70 yeast. RO water, with enough calcium chloride to get to 50ppm calcium. Excited to see how it turns out.
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »
Today I brewed 11 gallons of all Citra Pale Ale - 1.054 OG, 30 IBU's calculated plus a 30 minute hop stand got me maybe around 40 IBUs.  Hydro sample was yummy.  I'll dry hop with Citra too.

I brewed and all Citra IPA.  1.068 with 74 IBUs.  Fermenting away today when went home for to check on it, I mean for lunch.  ;D
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 12:45:01 PM »
Too hot.  Was gonna brew 15 gallons of Lambic wort but I'll just relax and wait till after the conference.
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 01:36:03 PM »
I kegged a 10 gallon split batch of Premium American and Mexican Lager on Friday. Saturday brewed an APA hopefully along the lines of a Mirror Pond.  Hit my numbers and volumes spot on so was pleased with that. 
Thank you BEER!