Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch Sparging- Calculating water temp to maintain mash bed temp  (Read 19825 times)

Offline benamcg

• Cellarman
Question for the batch spargers in the group.  How do you determine the sparge water temperature to maintain a grain bed temperature in a certain range (I imagine the 168-170 degree range)?  Is there an equation?  I imagine it would have depend on mash temp (assume 152) and pounds of malt. 

Thanks
Ben
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:10:58 am by benamcg »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Batch Sparging- Calculating water temp to maintain mash bed temp
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:26:48 am »
After 440 batch sparged brews, I've reached the conclusion that it just doesn't matter all that much.  I sparge with water anywhere from 180-200 F and that gets my grain bed into the upper 160s.  That's good enough.  If it's lower than that, it doesn't matter.  If it's a bit higher than that, it doesn't matter as long as your pH is OK.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Batch Sparging- Calculating water temp to maintain mash bed temp
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 10:32:21 am »
Nowhere near the experience of Denny but as a batch sparge I am usually between 170-180 sparge temp and get great results!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 10:59:28 am »
Been batch sparging for about a year and 1/2 now and I get my sparge water to about 185 -190, but as Denny mentioned above, I don't worry if I'm a little under or over.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 11:10:12 am »
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-3.html
Thais is what you're looking for.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 11:37:58 am »
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-3.html
Thais is what you're looking for.

Neither that, nor any other calculator I've used, has been able to accurately tell me how much to heat the water.  I think it's becasue coolers resist temp changes.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 12:35:59 pm »
I sparge ~190.  As said, a little over or under works out fine.  The cooler resisting temp changes makes good sense. That's what they're made for after all.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 06:27:10 pm »
IMO anything over 160° is just fine. Depending on your method of getting the sparge water into the mash tun. I lift and pour, so I don't go above 170 for safety sake. Not that gallons of 170 would feel good, but 200 would be real bummer

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 06:29:53 pm »
After 440 batch sparged brews, I've reached the conclusion that it just doesn't matter all that much.  I sparge with water anywhere from 180-200 F and that gets my grain bed into the upper 160s.  That's good enough.  If it's lower than that, it doesn't matter.  If it's a bit higher than that, it doesn't matter as long as your pH is OK.
I do what Denny says.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Franklin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 06:47:46 pm »
I like it hot to get all of the goodness in my boil kettle...190-195,
Frank Linkh

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 09:11:43 am »
I use BeerTools Pro, and it calculates the infusion temperature with the heat capacity of the cooler taken into account.  It allows me to hit the grain temperature quite accurately.

On the other hand, the grain temperature doesn't need to be 168-170F for a batch sparge.  So, like a lot of the others, I just add water that is somewhere in the 160-170F range and let the grain temperature fall where it may.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 09:32:16 am »
I do what Denny says.

This should be on a T-shirt.  Might be as popular as the "Eddie Would Go" shirts in Hawaii! ;D
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 10:20:57 am »
I do what Denny says.

This should be on a T-shirt.  Might be as popular as the "Eddie Would Go" shirts in Hawaii! ;D

Should include the ukulele picture on the shirt

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:52 am »
I do what Denny says.

Should include the ukulele picture on the shirt

I'd buy one!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 12:56:27 pm »
+1