Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to find malts in EU which are similar to the ones in US?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Alex Spain

• 1st Kit
Hey folks, I'm 0 at homebrewing and just placed an order on Anvil all-in-one 6.5 gal system.

Looking at the recepies here, I'm wondering how to find the closest match when it comes to malts? I've checked a bunch of online shops in Europe and I can't find any thins similar to this, for instance:

MALTS
8 lb. (3.63 kg) Mecca Grade Lamonta pale malt
5.75 lb. (2.61 kg) Mecca Grade Pelton Pilsner malt

If I want to brew according to the US recipe, I'd like to stay as close as possible, of course.

Appreciate your kind advice!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
How to find malts in EU which are similar to the ones in US?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 06:44:59 am »
Hey folks, I'm 0 at homebrewing and just placed an order on Anvil all-in-one 6.5 gal system.

Looking at the recepies here, I'm wondering how to find the closest match when it comes to malts? I've checked a bunch of online shops in Europe and I can't find any thins similar to this, for instance:

MALTS

If I want to brew according to the US recipe, I'd like to stay as close as possible, of course.

Mecca Grade is a speciality American brand that uses odd names.

Peloton is Pilsner malt. Choose any Pilsner malt made in Europe that your shop recommends: weyermann Pilsner, Bestmalz Pilsner, Dingemans Pilsner, Viking, etc. Lamonta is a pale malt. Try a pale ale malt of one of the same brands.  You probably have brands we don’t have in the US and it may depend on what country you live in. So, I hope this helps.

Offline Alex Spain

• 1st Kit
Re: How to find malts in EU which are similar to the ones in US?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 06:48:20 am »

Peloton is Pilsner malt. Choose any Pilsner malt made in Europe that your shop recommends: weyermann Pilsner, Bestmalz Pilsner, Dingemans Pilsner, Viking, etc. Lamonta is a pale malt. Try a pale ale malt of one of the same brands.  You probably have brands we don’t have in the US and it may depend on what country you live in. So, I hope this helps.

Thanks Tommy, your reply definitely helps! Cheers

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 07:35:27 am »
Mecca Grade uses a barley variety named Full Pint for their Pils, pale, Munich, etc. Oregon State University developed that variety. Only a few masters are using it, as far as I know.

Follow the good advice from Tommymorris.

The names are place names in Oregon, near Madras OR.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 07:40:45 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 07:45:44 am »

MALTS

The difference, though, is the underlying barley variety.  Lamonta may be kilned like pale ale, and Pelton may be kilned like pils malt, but the flavor is distinctly different due to the Full Pint barley that MG uses.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 08:48:09 am »
I was like Peloton is a town in Oregon? I thought it was a bicycle racing term. I’m an idiot. I guess Pelton is a town in Oregon. :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 09:15:46 am »
I was like Peloton is a town in Oregon? I thought it was a bicycle racing term. I’m an idiot. I guess Pelton is a town in Oregon. :)

A lot if the place names for MG malts come from what are know ghost towns.  In that tasting room at MG there are some amazing historical photos of these old towns taken by Seth's grandmother.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 03:47:42 pm »
Cool. I like those types of pictures. Where I used to work the halls outside the President’s office were lined with very old photos of the football team,  students, campus. I loved going there for meetings.

At my current school we have photos of Wehner Von Braun and the original German rocket team that came to Huntsville to design America’s first rockets. We have another of Von Braun addressing the legislature asking them to create our university. Those are pretty awesome too.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 01:34:53 pm »

MALTS

Close as possible in your case may mean some compromise. Get some good quality local malt and you'll end up with some good beer.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women