General Category > All Grain Brewing

Batch Sparging- Calculating water temp to maintain mash bed temp

<< < (2/4) > >>

denny:

--- Quote from: repo on June 22, 2013, 10:10:12 AM ---http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-3.html
Thais is what you're looking for.

--- End quote ---

Neither that, nor any other calculator I've used, has been able to accurately tell me how much to heat the water.  I think it's becasue coolers resist temp changes.

HoosierBrew:
I sparge ~190.  As said, a little over or under works out fine.  The cooler resisting temp changes makes good sense. That's what they're made for after all.

klickitat jim:
IMO anything over 160° is just fine. Depending on your method of getting the sparge water into the mash tun. I lift and pour, so I don't go above 170 for safety sake. Not that gallons of 170 would feel good, but 200 would be real bummer

mtnrockhopper:

--- Quote from: denny on June 22, 2013, 09:26:48 AM ---After 440 batch sparged brews, I've reached the conclusion that it just doesn't matter all that much.  I sparge with water anywhere from 180-200 F and that gets my grain bed into the upper 160s.  That's good enough.  If it's lower than that, it doesn't matter.  If it's a bit higher than that, it doesn't matter as long as your pH is OK.

--- End quote ---
I do what Denny says.

Franklin:
I like it hot to get all of the goodness in my boil kettle...190-195,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version