Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann Hop Rocket  (Read 2493 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Blichmann Hop Rocket
« on: June 24, 2013, 05:39:12 pm »
I just took possession of a new Blichmann Hop Rocket.  I am wondering if it makes any difference where in the line it is placed: between the boil kettle and the pump, or after the pump before the plate chiller.

I can't see that it would make any difference, except maybe keeping some of the trub out of the pump because of the filtering properties.  Thoughts on this?

Also I am wondering how to account for the hop addition in BeerSmith.  Would it be most similar to a 5 minute hop stand?  I don't see a hop-back option.  Yeah I'm probably over-thinking this but that's what I do.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Blichmann Hop Rocket
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 06:42:09 pm »
I would think that you may not want it before the pump since you don't want to restrict the flow rate going to the pump.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 07:02:23 pm »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:01:11 pm »
Here is what John says, around 8 min.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FEO75CszMcI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFEO75CszMcI

Thank you.  That video answered my question, though the link on the page doesn't work.  I just searched youtube for 'hop rocket' and there it was.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Scot (one T)

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:01:55 am »
I have mine between the pump and plate chiller.  No problems.
Scot Schaar
River's Edge Fermentation Society
St Paul Homebrewers Club
AHA Member
BJCP Beer and Mead Judge