Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mosaic  (Read 4527 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Mosaic
« on: April 15, 2013, 06:37:38 am »
Brewed a 1.062 AIPA yesterday using Amarillo/Centennial/Mosaic as late hops. Plan to dry hop that combo heavily as well. This was my first time using Mosaic, but I've tried a couple brews that use it. Loved the aromas from the kettle. Think I'll be using this combo again.
Jon H.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: Mosaic
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:23:16 am »
How did this turn out?  I ordered some Mosaic, but haven't used before.  Curious about good combos.
Trey W.

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:31:41 am »
ive used mosaic in my last two 10 gal brews, the 1st was 8oz centennial in the boil with 4oz mosaic dry, the 2nd was 8oz Chinook boil/4oz mosaic dry.  currently drinking the 2nd and loving it, the 1st may have been better, its hard to say since its gone.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:59:49 am »
How did this turn out?  I ordered some Mosaic, but haven't used before.  Curious about good combos.
Came out great, except I left out the Columbus in the posting, so it was Amarillo/Centennial/Mosaic/Columbus. Great combo - Citrusy, intense fruitiness from Mosaic, and dank Columbus. I'll use it again.
Jon H.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:35:14 pm »
Sounds tasty.  I'm brewing a Chinook/Columbus IPA tomorrow.  I plan on using Mosaic next week.
Trey W.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 12:38:45 pm »
My fave Mosaic combo so far has been Mosaic/Amarillo/Citra/Motueka. It's a big fruit bomb, but that's what I was going for. I have an IPA on deck that I'm planning on Mosaic/Columbus/Citra/Nelson. Mosaic + Citra gives you a massive fruit bomb as your base, and I'm really digging that right now.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 12:13:04 pm »
Looking forward to trying Mosaic myself. A local brewery (Lone Pint) came out with a SMASH using Maris Otter and Mosaic, just freaking great flavor and nose.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 04:46:24 pm »
I have made 1 IPA with mosaic, 1 DIPA with mosaic & SMASH with mosaic. All turned out fantastic.
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline clef051

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 05:17:23 am »
Great hop, I've made a Ipa with mosiac, chinook, and cascade.  It came out great, one of my favorite beers.

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 07:00:26 am »
I've only used it as a dry hop in IPAs and IIPAs. I give it at least a week at room temp then I chill to serving temp. I get an intense dank grapefruit with some hints of citrus and pine. As a test, I dry hopped one keg with Mosaic and a second with Cascade and Amarillo. The Amarillo is obvious and does a wonderful job of muting the dankness of Mosaic. I now use 50/50 Amarillo to Mosaic based on blending tastes.

I would be interested in how others have used this hop including where in the boil, at what temp were you using it whirlpool, etc.. What flavors/aromas are coming out based on usage.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 02:42:30 pm »
I'm going to keep that in mind and try it. Maybe 50 ibus of Simcoe early then Amarillo mosaic late and dry

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 03:11:57 pm »
I've only used it as a dry hop in IPAs and IIPAs. I give it at least a week at room temp then I chill to serving temp. I get an intense dank grapefruit with some hints of citrus and pine. As a test, I dry hopped one keg with Mosaic and a second with Cascade and Amarillo. The Amarillo is obvious and does a wonderful job of muting the dankness of Mosaic. I now use 50/50 Amarillo to Mosaic based on blending tastes.

I would be interested in how others have used this hop including where in the boil, at what temp were you using it whirlpool, etc.. What flavors/aromas are coming out based on usage.
I used it in my last IPA, which was a blend of Amarillo/Centennial/Columbus/Mosaic. I used the blend late( I bittered with Chinook) @ 15,10, 5 mins, KO (30 min hopstand), and dry 4 oz for 7 days. Previously I had used Simcoe in the place of Mosaic in the same hop schedule, so the only variable was using the Mosaic. The beer had a definite berry note that came through loud and clear from the Mosaic. I'll definitely be using it again soon.
Jon H.