Author Topic: Mold on wort, should I taste?  (Read 2492 times)

Offline mudman

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 59
  • Cheesehead
    • View Profile
Mold on wort, should I taste?
« on: June 23, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »
So I made and experimental brew in the fall using a lot of Oval-tine and a bunch of other household groceries and once it was done fermenting it smelled terrible.  So terrible that I was not even brave enough to taste it so I decided to throw it out.  I seem to have forgotten to throw it out and it has been sitting in my basement in a glass carboy with airlock for months and now has mold on top of it.  I smelled it this morning and it actually smelled pretty good to me.  Should I taste it or get rid of it?  The mold scares me a little since I didn't add anything to the wort except US-05.
Mike

Offline klickitat jim

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 5145
    • View Profile
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
Dude!

Offline morticaixavier

  • I must live here
  • **********
  • Posts: 7487
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »
Taste it.

it's not going to hurt you and it might be amazing. what does the mold look like?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline amh0001

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 84
    • View Profile
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 12:03:57 PM »
I'm scared

Offline erockrph

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 4213
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 12:11:15 PM »
A) Nothing that grows in beer can kill you

B) Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Therefore:

C) Drinking this beer makes you stronger. Go for it!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 5145
    • View Profile
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:31:26 PM »
Ah, but is anything that grows in ovaltine bad for you?

Offline ccfoo242

  • Brewmaster
  • *****
  • Posts: 784
  • I drank what? - Socrates
    • View Profile
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »
I wonder what the other "household groceries" were? Beets! Nothing beats beets beer!

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline mudman

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 59
  • Cheesehead
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:14:02 PM by mudman »
Mike

Offline mudman

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 59
  • Cheesehead
    • View Profile
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 01:14:42 PM »
Mike

Offline denny

  • Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • *****
  • Posts: 13970
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »
A friend once made a "beetweizen".  You couldn't really tell there were beets in it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline majorvices

  • Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 8010
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline euge

  • I must live here
  • **********
  • Posts: 7658
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 03:11:06 PM »
Rack that beer out from under it and get on with your day.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline HoosierBrew

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 6636
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Jon H.

Offline mudman

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 59
  • Cheesehead
    • View Profile
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
Tried it.  Pretty good and a little tart, like a sour beer.  Seems way low on alcohol and I sort of remember being low on the OG I was going for so I am not sure I will keep it.
Mike

Offline morticaixavier

  • I must live here
  • **********
  • Posts: 7487
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce