Author Topic: Mold on wort, should I taste?  (Read 3276 times)

Offline redbeerman

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1848
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
    • View Profile
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR


Offline reverseapachemaster

  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • ********
  • Posts: 2864
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »
I also thought it looked like a pellicle.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline AmandaK

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1849
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 10:00:16 AM »
A friend once made a "beetweizen".  You couldn't really tell there were beets in it.

A friend of mine made a beet beer - smelled like dirt, tasted like dirt but was this psychedelic purple color. It's become the stuff of local legend now.

But back to the OP... I like sour beers and all, but that picture doesn't inspire confidence. Looks pretty gnarly! 
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Education Director
BJCP Assistant Education Director
BJCP Master/Mead

Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline kylekohlmorgen

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1363
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • View Profile
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »
I think it looks like a pellicle - possibly with some mold growing on top (brown specs?).

Most times the pellicle keeps the mold out - I normally skim off any mold-like specs, but in a carboy I wouldn't risk stirring it up.

You could rack off - but I would just put an airlock on it and see what it tastes like 8 months or so!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: