Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Little confused with decoction schedule  (Read 5608 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Little confused with decoction schedule
« on: June 24, 2013, 12:51:37 pm »
Reviewing a couple double decoction mash schedules I noticed the first decoction gets pulled from the protein rest; goes through a short Beta rest and returned to the main mash after decocting for a period. this means the main mash stays at a protein rest for 2 or more hours. And with today's well modified malts, especially the US varieties, isn't that going to destroy any head retention? I thought 30 minutes at 122-129 was about the max you would want to be at that level?
I have had excellent results decocting between Beta and Alpha rests and didnt see the point to decoct into mashout. What am I missing?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Little confused with decoction schedule
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 12:58:35 pm »
You are exactly right.  The trouble with many step mash schedules is that they assume a protein rest.  There's no reason you have to include a protein rest in a step mash schedule.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Little confused with decoction schedule
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 01:30:27 pm »
Agreed.  I typically infuse to the sac rest, then pull a decoction and return to the dex rest and then again to mashout for my Oktoberfest.

Dave
Dave Zach

narvin

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 01:48:21 pm »
You can do a decoction without a protein rest; check out Kai's page about the Hochkurz mash:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Decoction_Mashing#Hochkurz_Double_Decoction

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 02:13:25 pm »
You can do a decoction without a protein rest; check out Kai's page about the Hochkurz mash:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Decoction_Mashing#Hochkurz_Double_Decoction

Love the Hochkurz.  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 02:39:00 pm »
I also forgo a protein rest in my decoction mashes. I infuse at sacc rest and decoct up to dex rest.

If you were brewing with undermodified grain it would be a good idea to do the much longer decoction schedule but otherwise it's not a good idea to hang out in a protein rest.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:50:51 pm »
What I've been doing is starting with an acid rest, which may help with acidifying the pH, then while the decocted portion is boiling, I raise the heat on the main mash by recirculating and heating until it gets to a protein temp, then when I add the decoction back it goes right to the beta rest.  This way I get three rests for the price of one decoction.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:27:35 pm »
What I've been doing is starting with an acid rest, which may help with acidifying the pH, then while the decocted portion is boiling, I raise the heat on the main mash by recirculating and heating until it gets to a protein temp, then when I add the decoction back it goes right to the beta rest.  This way I get three rests for the price of one decoction.
I might have to try that one.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 03:33:04 pm »

Love the Hochkurz.  8)
I concur!
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 07:05:05 pm »

Narvin, I know I don't have a fancy web page, but that is exactly what I said previously!  Just a lot shorter.... ;)
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 07:06:41 pm »
I might have to try that one.

Me too.  Just need to build my Brutus 20 first!
Dave Zach

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 03:45:11 pm »
Gonna try decoction on a hefe for the first time soon, and would like to know if there is any limit on how long you can stay in the acid rest without risk.

If I mash in at 111 F for a ferulic acid rest and let it sit for 10 minutes then pull my decoction, can I just let the mash hang out at 111 (and falling...) while I'm taking the decoction through a sacc rest then a short boil? Shouldn't be more than an hour.

Will I be risking anything with the mash sitting below protein rest temps?
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 07:51:27 am »
Gonna try decoction on a hefe for the first time soon, and would like to know if there is any limit on how long you can stay in the acid rest without risk.

If I mash in at 111 F for a ferulic acid rest and let it sit for 10 minutes then pull my decoction, can I just let the mash hang out at 111 (and falling...) while I'm taking the decoction through a sacc rest then a short boil? Shouldn't be more than an hour.

Will I be risking anything with the mash sitting below protein rest temps?
No. Check out Kai's page on the Hochkurz mash. "Not only does it serve to lower the pH by simply using the phosphatase and other acid forming enzymatic activity, but since there is no enzymatic activity that can have a detrimental affect on the final result, there is no rush to move to the next rest."
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving