Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hot Side Aeration  (Read 14165 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hot Side Aeration
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 12:03:41 pm »
I have been using a stainless spoon at the end of the boil to stir up a whirlpool and accelerate cooling without any noticeable issues (I used to just use the IC in a similar manner by swirling it).  It isn't getting real splashy, either way, but it gets 10 gallons down below 100F fairly quickly; from there I just wait it out until 56F, rack to fermenter and aerate with a sanitized two blade aerator using a cordless drill.  The only time I have tasted anything like that described was with an Alt that I let sit long in primary and jostled around too much moving to a bottling bucket and then into bottles.  Maybe it was HSA, but I don't think so...
+1.  I have always stirred with a spoon while cooling with my IC to shorten cooling time.  Never to a froth, but very steadily. My only two oxidized batches in 20 years could be traced to definite post-fermentation issues. One, where my daughter knocked off an airlock from a fermenter (never good), and the other from accidental splashing at kegging.
Jon H.

Offline gevans73

• 1st Kit
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 08:21:54 pm »
I've been using a paint stirrer drill to cool my 10 gallon batches for nearly a year now and have never had an issue at all.  I run the drill fairly slow and am careful to not produce foam or bubbles.  Seems to work better with the paint stir inside the chiller.  It still cools 10 gallons in less than 15 minutes.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2013, 08:53:56 pm »
Sweet!

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 01:37:03 pm »
And this should not be confused with Cold Side Naration which is what happens to my speech after drinking a few too many!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 06:20:36 am »
I am careful about not aireating the mash, but is there a concern with HSA while lautering/sparging? I usually runoff into my BK that hangs on the edge of the kettle simply with a hose. sounds like someone taking a leak in my kettle.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 09:18:50 am »
I am careful about not aireating the mash, but is there a concern with HSA while lautering/sparging? I usually runoff into my BK that hangs on the edge of the kettle simply with a hose. sounds like someone taking a leak in my kettle.

Based on my experience, I'd say no.  The way I batch sparge would make me a primary candidate for problems, but I've never had any.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

cornershot

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 09:27:39 am »

Didn't I see on another thread that you took a gold in NHC 2nd round? The judges apparently found no hsa issues so no worries, right? How old was your beer at the time of judging?
Btw congrats!